• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Pulled Pork => 50% Successful

Started by st3v32k12, September 17, 2012, 12:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

st3v32k12

Tried my first pulled pork.  Got a nice trimmed pork shoulder from my butcher, about 5.5 lbs.  Rubbed it in my own dry rub and let it sit overnight.  4 hours of smoke, and 8 hours of cook time.  Actually I had a thermometer in the shoulder and I took it out when it hit 82C (180F), which ended up being almost exactly 8 hours at 225F.

I did not FTC, as a link I got in these forums said it was not necessary.

The pork was delicious, but not easily pullable.

What could I have done OTHER than FTC to make it fall apart pullable?  Did I not cook it long enough?  Do I HAVE to FTC?

squirtthecat

Try 190° or 195° next time, then pull.

I take butts to 200° more often than not...   They almost disintegrate just picking them up off of the rack.

Tenpoint5

Yep what Squirt said. You just pulled it out too soon. I am also in the 190-200 club. When you get to 190 you can stick the butt with a fork and twist it. If the meat starts to shred easily then you can take it out and pull it. Just do us one favor. AT A MINIMUM cover the butt with foil (Tent) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before you pull it. Give the juices time to settle back into the center of the meat. That way you don't have juice running all over the counter and dry pulled pork
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 17, 2012, 12:16:41 PM

Try 190° or 195° next time, then pull.

I take butts to 200° more often than not...   They almost disintegrate just picking them up off of the rack.

x2

st3v32k12

Wow.  Thanks for the tips!  Now I want to run out and by another one immediately.

Oh any FYI, I did let it rest for 20 minutes or so, but as you have pointed, no amount of resting would have made it as juicy and "pullable" as bringing it to 190-200.

Any tips on approximate time per pound to get to 190-200, just so it's easier to plan the overall time needed?

Thanks!!!

Habanero Smoker

Did you try moving the food probe around to make sure it was in the thickest part of the butt, or not in a void area where it could get a false reading. By moving it around you may find that the temperature in the thickest part is much lower.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: st3v32k12 on September 17, 2012, 01:00:49 PM.

Any tips on approximate time per pound to get to 190-200, just so it's easier to plan the overall time needed?

The general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 hours per lb.  However, I had a 6.9 lb butt take 16.5 hours to reach 195 recently, with a chamber temp of 220*F.

Consooger

I make my butts to IT of 195 - 200 degrees. Nothing less. As squirt said, only half of the butt comes off the rack when I pick it up to pull it.

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

zueth

I take mine to 195 and FTC or at least 4 hours. The FTC is a must

TedEbear

Quote from: Consooger on September 17, 2012, 11:39:55 PM
As squirt said, only half of the butt comes off the rack when I pick it up to pull it.

I lay out a piece of foil that I'm going to use for the FTC.  Then I remove the entire rack and flip it upside-down onto the foil.  If it falls apart on the foil it doesn't matter since it is all getting wrapped up for a couple of hours anyway. 

These Frogmats from Yard and Pool work well to keep the butts from sticking to the rack.

Indy Smoker

Gotta go to at least 190.

And I strongly recommend to FTC, that gets the juices back in and is key !
As far as timing goes, it's done when it's done.  I've cooked 2 that have taken up to 26 hours.  Be patient grasshopper.

If you want to try something different add a tray below the butt to catch the drippings.  I use a rub that contains a bit of cayenne and I keep the drippings to add when making baked beans.  Everyone goes crazy and asks how I got the flavor and just the right amount of heat in the beans.  Shhhhh  secret!

beefmann

Quote from: st3v32k12 on September 17, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
Wow.  Thanks for the tips!  Now I want to run out and by another one immediately.

Oh any FYI, I did let it rest for 20 minutes or so, but as you have pointed, no amount of resting would have made it as juicy and "pullable" as bringing it to 190-200.

Thanks!!!

not applicable here considering im running a 900 watt element and blower. which makes my  smoker a convection smoker  cutting down the cooking time up to 50 %

zueth

Quote from: st3v32k12 on September 17, 2012, 01:00:49 PM

Thanks!!!

Mine take between 18-24 hours normally, when its done its done.  Also it taste just as good when it reheated the next day.  So cook ahead a time and reheat when needed.

mhiykmeel63

Doing 2 twin paks from Sams tomorrow. ive had alot of luck transferring over to the oven after the smoke. Normally try pullin around the 185 mark but Im gonna shoot for the 200 mark tomorrow. I usually go with 4 hours smoke when i do 2, should I smoke them for 5 or 6 hours since ive got more meat going?

TedEbear

Quote from: mhiykmeel63 on November 01, 2012, 09:41:01 PMI usually go with 4 hours smoke when i do 2, should I smoke them for 5 or 6 hours since ive got more meat going?

More meat shouldn't matter on the smoking part of it.  They'll just take a little longer to cook than if it was only one in the chamber.  I do 3-4 hours on the smoke, no matter how much I'm cooking.