My new natural gas fire pit

Started by muebe, September 05, 2012, 04:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Wanted a gas fire pit for outside but did not want to spend the money they want for those things. So I bought a $99 wood fire pit from Lowe's and made my own natural gas burner system from 1/2 inch black pipe. And I have 20lbs of blue fire glass from Amazon on order to fill the bottom. Once the fire glass gets here it will be ready to go ;)

And at full gas :o

Plenty of BTUs coming off that thing! Should be pretty with the fire glass.

Here is what the glass looks like ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Thats cool or Hot :) Cant wait to see the fire glass, i'm a little confused, do you fill the pit up with the glass?

muebe

Quote from: Keymaster on September 05, 2012, 05:17:57 PM
Thats cool or Hot :) Cant wait to see the fire glass, i'm a little confused, do you fill the pit up with the glass?

The glass goes on the bottom and completely covers the burner pipes. Then the gas goes up through the glass and ignites right above the glass. The glass is reflective and opaque so it creates light and color in the glass. Much better than the fake logs and cheaper too ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Thanks for the explanation Muebe. I think you will enjoy it very much :)

Mr Walleye

Michael

Looks excellent!

That's too funny! I built one late last year. Everybody liked it so much I had to build 5 more of them over the winter for friends and family. I tried to access my photo bucket account to post a couple of pictures but photo bucket is down right now. I'll try and post them later.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Michael

Here is one of the ones I built in action in my back yard. I used a key operated gas valve that I mounted in the right leg in the picture. I wanted to use glass in mine as well but I checked into it and by the time you added shipping to here in Canada it was outrageous in price. So... I got thinking... I know, scary! A friend of mine operates an auto salvage operation. Every once in a while they destroy side and rear windows that don't sell. We picked out all the darker tinted ones, threw in a little bit of clear for effect, put them in a bid box and hit them with a hammer.  :D It turned out excellent and it was free.

The overall BTU is around 100,000. In our climate here of course we do tend to be a little cooler so it was important that the unit has a solid top to it. It pushes the heat out the sides that way. I capped off the small chimney stack on it with a piece of aluminum to help force the heat out the sides as well.

Sorry about the crappy picture, it's from my iPhone.

Mike

muebe

Very cool Mike! That is a nice fire pit. I got a small one so it would be easy to move around and store. Price was a factor also. I can see how the top would direct heat out.

Cool idea on the fire glass. There are plenty of wrecking yards around here. If I had to pay your shipping prices I would have done the same thing. Only $8 in shipping cost to ship 20lbs of fire glass from Amazon.

Although I did not clock mine through the meter to see the actual BTU load I believe I am just a bit over 100,000 BTUs LOL. I am using 8 inches WC of gas through two 18 inch long 1/2 inch diameter pipes with 28 holes that are 9/64 in size :o

muebe

So I added wheels to one end...

And a handle on the other so I can lift one end a roll it to where it needs to go...

Well lookie here...

It now has electronic spark ignition...

Sparky, Sparky(not you Sparky LOL)

Flame on!

Mr Walleye

SiFumar

slowpoke

Your Good,Man,REAL GOOD. Great job.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

muebe

So last night my daughter and I went outside to fire up the pit and make some s'mores. Here is a night shot of it in action...

Swim Dad

Going to file this away for when I get own a house again.   Looks awesome.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)