Pulled beef any tips?

Started by Brady Smoker!, September 14, 2012, 03:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

I want to smoke some pulled beef, any tips on temp, time smoke?
BDS 4 RACK

devo

Have you ever done pulled pork? Pretty much the same rules apply.

FLBentRider

I would put 4 hours of smoke on it, then cook it @225F to an internal temp of 200F.

I put them in a foil pan with some liquid, usually red wine, with some onions and such. I do that when the internal temp is above 160F

You could just put it in your house oven at that point, it won't take any more smoke anyway.

When I don't boat it they tend to dry out.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Below is a link to a recipe I use to make pulled beef:

Pulled Beef

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Has anyone used a "Shoulder Clod" for pulled beef?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

That is the area of the shoulder you get you chuck cuts from. Shoulder Clod and Shoulder Chuck are the same. You could smoke/roast the whole cut, but if it were myself, I would separate the five muscles and just use the large chuck roast for your pulled beef.

The below link is an animated video to show you how to separate the muscles:

Should Clod

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smoker pete

Just picked up a "Neck Off Chuck Roll" weighing in at 20.2 lbs at Cash & Carry at $2.59/lb.  Going to cut it in half, season them, freeze a 10 pounder for later use, and refrigerate the other half.

Figure I'll smoke it at 225ºF till an IT of 160º.  Wrap in foil, bump temp to 250º and continue till the IT reaches 200º-205º.  FTC for 3 hours and pull the beef  ;D ;D ... Thinking a total cook/FTC time of 20 hours!  Sound about right?

Habanero Smoker

I've never smoked/roasted one that large. I've only done chucks around 5 - 6 pounds. I've never timed them so I couldn't give you an idea of a total cooking/ftc time.

If you cut the 10 pounder in half, and cook each half on a separate tray, that should cut down on you overall cooking time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smoker pete

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 15, 2012, 01:50:03 PM
I've never smoked/roasted one that large. I've only done chucks around 5 - 6 pounds. I've never timed them so I couldn't give you an idea of a total cooking/ftc time.

If you cut the 10 pounder in half, and cook each half on a separate tray, that should cut down on your overall cooking time.

Thanks Hab.  That's what I'll do ...  Here's the "Neck Off Chuck Roll" cut into 4 chunks.  Rubbed them with EVOO and a Prime Rib rub before vacuum sealing.  Since there's only the 2 of us I'm going to do one of them and freeze the other 3.  I'll post info and photos.

Brady Smoker!

Should i use a beef chuck roast for pulled beef or a shoulder?
BDS 4 RACK

smoker pete

Quote from: Brady Smoker! on September 19, 2012, 04:35:17 PM
Should i use a beef chuck roast for pulled beef or a shoulder?

I'm no expert by any means when it comes to beef cuts but maybe this will help ...  since the chuck roast actually comes from the shoulder.  But if in doubt, always ask the butcher!

One of the best values on a steer is commonly known as the chuck, the front shoulder. The upper portion of the chuck is called "shoulder clod" and the lower portion is a "chuck roll".  Most stores will cut the chuck and chuck shoulder roasts out of it and also use parts of it for ground chuck.

The "chuck" is one of nine primal cuts that come from a side of beef. Essentially the shoulder of the cow, the chuck consists of part of the neck and backbone, the first five ribs, and portions of the shoulder blade and upper arm. It weighs in at 66-106 pounds or more.

The chuck primal is broken down into smaller, subprimal cuts. One of these is the chuck roll. It weighs 13-21 pounds or more.

Chuck roll is sort of the pork butt of beef. It has the structure of pork butt--lots of muscle, fat, and connective tissue coming together from a bunch of different directions--and is easier to pull or shred than to slice.

Brady Smoker!

Thanks smoker pete that actually helps alot, im looking for the pork butt of beef! I will also ask my butcher and see what he has to say im by far an expert on beef or pork but id like to get as close to a pork butt as possible but with beef.
BDS 4 RACK

Brady Smoker!

5 1/2 pound chuck ready to go early saturday morning, in the fridge taking in the dry rub!
BDS 4 RACK

Brady Smoker!

Put my chuck in the smoker at 6 am at 230-240 running 3 hrs of pecan its already at 140, foil boat at 160 and cook to 190 the. 2-3 hrs FTC then time to shred!
BDS 4 RACK