Pork Cushions vs Pork Butts

Started by hawsfli, June 21, 2004, 04:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawsfli

We smoke up to 120 lbs of pulled pork weekly.  I really love the BS for cleanup, more sleep and consistancy.  The drastic increase in the costs of pork butts in the last 6 months has created considerable concern for us.  Butts have gone from $.79 to $1.55 a pound in these parts.  Which has lead to looking around for alternative pork cuts. We have been cooking pork cushions the past few weeks with pretty good results.  They take just about the same amount of time to smoke. 10 to 12 hours.  The cushion is a 2-1/2 to 3 pound piece of pork cut off the end of large pork butts by the meat packers.  They have considerably less fat and lend to a leaner finished product.  We have found the meat has to be cooked to 200 to 205 degrees for good pulling. We sprinkle lightly with tender quick and wash off in cold water after 3 to 4 minutes.  Otherwise it will lead to a reasonably salty product.  At the same time the quick will help create a nice smoke ring effect.  Then we brush with prepared mustard and sprinkle on our dry rub.  The BS will hold 16 of the cushions or 8 pork butts.
After 6 hours of smoke we wrap each roast in foil with 1/4 cup apple juice added to give moisture and back in the oven until roasts reach 200 degrees.  We pull while hot using our trusty bear paws [:)]. They sure make the job easier and no worry about burning our fingers. In 2002 at the Montana State PNWBA competition we got a 180 or perfect score using this method.  Sure sell a lot of this pulled pork packed in 1 or 2 pound vacuume sealed packages at $9 a lb.[:D] This post is to show how the BS can be put to work and perhaps give some ideas to those of you who might be looking for a little additional income.  I am open to any comments.  LOL Montana Hawsfli (Horsefly) [email protected].[8D][8D][8D]

Regforte

Hawsfli, this is good information, and it's good timing too. Shaving off a few bucks on my costs will help, and I've been considering trying cushion also. I'm going to give it a try myself.

I'm also going to give it a try in some smoked sausage and dry cured salami. It might work well by adding some extra backfat.

Thanks for the great post.

MallardWacker

Super Fly, (anyone that smokes that much pork, is OK in my book)

I noticed your use of apple juice, when I smoke my butts after they reach temp I double foil wrap them then I wrap them in a towl for a couple of hours.  Just thinking here, maybe putting some juice in at that time?  I have never injected my butts with anything, just rub on some mustard and favorite rub.  But in looking around I have noticed some things popping up alot more lately, they are injecting their meat with a mop/basting solution, seems to be a viniger based solution then after it is pulled they put more on it.  Tell me o'butt master[:D], have you tried any injection, or is it worth it.

One last thing, welcome to forum.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hawsfli</i>
 We pull while hot using our trusty bear paws [:)]. They sure make the job easier and no worry about burning our fingers.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hawsfli,
What exactly are "bear paws" and where do you get them.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Found this at www.barbequce-store.com  

As shown in the photo to the right, Bear Paws are easy to use meat handlers. These "paws" are excellent for handling large pieces of meat such as roasts, turkeys, chickens, beef, hams and pork. They provide a natural grip to slippery meats and the handles never get hot! Use for lifting and carving. Famous in the north and east, these sharp prongs can quickly turn barbecued pork shoulders & butts into PULLED PORK! They are also great to tossing and serving pasta, slaw and salads of all kinds. And, they are top shelf dishwasher safe.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Richard Pearce

<font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hey Hawsfli
Good reading and welcome to the Forum from Canada!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Tell me o'butt master<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">This could be a very good or a very bad thing![:0][:0][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Tell me o'butt master<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">This could be a very good or a very bad thing![:0][:0][:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Chez,
You forgot to bracket with <font color="blue">[beavis laugh]</font id="blue">heh,heh..Butt Master..heh,heh<font color="blue">[/beavis laugh]</font id="blue">[:D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Fuzzybear

Chez:

Do you need to "stock" bear paws now???[:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

Chez,I would be very careful-most bears really don't want to give up their paws!lol[:D][:D][:p]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN