• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tri tip IT

Started by Kell, September 28, 2012, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kell

I haven't used my OBS in 2 years so I'm rereading some of the post so I get it right this weekend.  I've got 2 pork shoulder 17lbs total and 2 tri tips 7lb total.  Plan is to do the 2 shoulder on bottom and and second to bottom rack than two tri tips on 2nd from top rack.  I've been reading that you should take the IT of tri tip to 135 but my boyfriends daughter doesn't like meat red.  Could I take it to 145-150 and it still be tender?
Also, does recovery temp times affect the meat taste?  If it takes too long to recover it just takes longer to reach proper IT and doesn't affect flavor in any way? 

muebe

Smoke the tri-tip to 130F and then tightly wrap with heavy duty foil and continue to cook until the IT is 200F...yes I said 200F. Then FTC for an hour.

It will take 5 to 6 hours to cook the tri-tip this way but it will be fall apart tender like a brisket and no one will complain the meat is not done ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kell

Thanks for the tip.  Will this tri tip slice or will it shred at IT 200?

muebe

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kell

The pulled pork was very good but I wasn't too impressed with the tri tip.  For the price per lb I will probably stick to IT 135 and finish on the grill next time.
I did find brisket at Smart and Final and threw that on the OBS with 4hrs of hickory after 10hrs of cooking and 4 hrs of FTC it was worth it.

muebe

Sorry you did not enjoy it. What temp did you smoke it at? I usually do 260F on my pellet grill and maybe that makes a difference...

I usually pay under 3$ a pound for Tri-tip here.

Kell

I bought tri ip at $6 a lb but no fat on it from Costco.  I'll wait till I find untrimmed tri tip on sale before i do it again.  I cooked to 135 IT, wrapped tightly in foil and let it come up to 200.  It was just ok for the price.  My brisket at $2.44lb was tastier.

Gizmo

I think of Tri-Tip as a fairly tender piece of meat to begin with therefore I do hot and fast with an IT of 135 or less,  highest temp the Bradley will go.  10 to 15 minute rest minimum and slice.  If your eaters don't like the medium rare, give them the edge pieces or have some hot aus jus on the side, a 10 second dip or so will change the appearance without making the meat tough.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Salmonsmoker

I do mine the same as Gizmo. I have developed a marinade that I use when the mood strikes. Muebe, where are you getting your Tri for $3/lb? Costco here in the Seattle area has it for $7/lb.  I first came across this cut of meat about 20 yrs. ago, and it was dirt cheap because nobody knew what it was. Now most do and the price reflects that.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tdwester

Give cash and carry a try, they usually have it for under 3 a pound. The only drawback is the cryo pack contains 4 and that's a lot of beef.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: tdwester on October 08, 2012, 08:11:52 AM
Give cash and carry a try, they usually have it for under 3 a pound. The only drawback is the cryo pack contains 4 and that's a lot of beef.

I have been using Cash and Carry for the tri-tip. It's untrimmed, but still calcs out to $4+/lb after trimming. Much better than Costco. Trying to find out if muebe has another source. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

muebe

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on October 08, 2012, 10:16:01 AM
Quote from: tdwester on October 08, 2012, 08:11:52 AM

I have been using Cash and Carry for the tri-tip. It's untrimmed, but still calcs out to $4+/lb after trimming. Much better than Costco. Trying to find out if muebe has another source. :)

I just wait for the local stores to have them on sale then stock up on a bunch until the next one.