• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Original Bradley Smoker - Trying to figure out what to buy

Started by cstallings, October 19, 2012, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocarolina

I am new to using a Bradley smoker, but not new to smoking (I am a culinary school grad with a professional chef job).  I think that the gentleman does not quite understand the cures, as he keeps referring to nitrates, never mentioning nitrites.  Most smoked sausages use the cure1 (prague powder, instacure, TCM etc) as stated containing NITRITES, not nitrates. 
All smoked sausages should be cured. The reason is the threat of botulism. The bacterium responsible, Clostridium botulinum, is ubiquitous in the environment, grows in the anaerobic conditions created in the interior of the sausage, and thrives in the 40 °F (4 °C) to 140 °F (60 °C) temperature range common in the smoke house and subsequent ambient storage. Thus, for safety reasons, sausages are cured before smoking. 

If you want sausage without nitrites, just make sausage.  To smoke sausage, you should use the cure #1.  If you are talking NITRATES or cure #2, they you would be making pepperonis and dry cured sausages - not smoked sausages. 

I fully agree with other members that you need to read up on sausage making before you start.  Uneducated people that like to learn by trial and error will be sick from food poisoning. Just my 2 cents as a chef.

viper125

Well MSG and nitrates and nitrites are totally different. The body nitrates and nitrite naturally. Green veggys contain a large amount and most foods contain it. My friend is allergic to MSG too! But nitrates and Nitrites have no ill affect on him.
As far as smokers for sausage its hands down the OBS. The 6 rack is digital and will need a pid to do sausage right.The digital's can easily swing 20 degrees on temp. Where with the digital you can hold temps with in 2 degrees. Which can be and is very important in sausage . Sausages are one of the most particular meats made here i believe. And there are many good tips you'll learn. Such as  keeping you meat temps under 45-50 mixing. And a lot more.
Welcome to smoking and the site where you'll learn every one is always willing to help and teach.

But be warned! This is not the innocent hobby so many seem to think! This will become an obsession that could lead to an uncontrollable urge to smoke.  ;) ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.