Seasoning my DBS 4 rack

Started by Silvergrizz, October 23, 2012, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvergrizz

Started at 6:40 PM tonight. Set oven temp at 150f, waited for temp to rise. Meanwhile loaded 8 special pucks to season. When temp hit 150f  at 7PM advanced pucks to burn, planning a 2 hour seasoning. Temp continued to rise to 178f by 7:20PM. Opened door to allow to cool. By 7:40PM temp dropped to 142f. At 7:50 temp started to rise, at 8PM temp at 178f, at 8:45 temp at 153f. At 9PM temp at 162f when I shut it off. Is this the normal temp swing on these units? Really see the need for meat thermometer.

KyNola

The short answer is "yes" that is a normal temp swing.  The heat controller in the BDS is a "bang bang controller".  It's on or it is off. It will run the temp above the set temp, will shut off and let the temp drop below the set temp and start it all over again.  If you have a load of meat in it the swings will lessen as the meat comes up to temp.  Pork butts, pork loins, briskets, ribs etc those temp swings aren't all that critical.

Other things such as salmon, smoking your own sausages, etc need tighter temp controls.

Folks more learned than me will come along and advise you better.

Silvergrizz

Thanks KyNola, good to know, guess I will start with smoking a couple of chickens or a pork roast, whichever I can pick up at the farmers market on Saturday morning.  ;D

Jim O

Welcome to the Forum!

You do realize that it's only Tuesday,don't you ?

Waiting 'till Saturday ??

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Silvergrizz

Yea, I know, might have to break down and go to Costco after work today.