Using Bradley Honey Cure in wet form

Started by Chef57, January 05, 2013, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chef57

I have my mixture of the Bradley Honey Cure all ready to inject into my ham.  My question is...drum roll...
Ok, do I also submerge the ham in the wet cure?

devo

I have never used any of the  Bradley Cure's but the ones that I have used is what you do is inject a percentage of the cure and then submerge the ham for at least 7 days depending on the recipe.

Chef57

Thanks Devo!  All my recipes call for curing one day for every 2 pounds... or thereabouts.  I think it will just be a whole lot saltier if I leave it a week.  But I definitely will submerge my hams.  I have two four pound ham pieces, bone in, that I put in vacuum pak bags.  I've smoked a lot of hams but haven't used the wet version of the Bradley cures before.
Cheers and Happy Smokin' in 2013!

devo

OK but do the instructions say how much top inject? And how long to cure for?
Take a look at this post and it will give you some ideas or maybe more questions
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?799-A-Tenpoint5-Ham-aka-Hamzilla

Habanero Smoker

What cut of meat are you using to make your ham.

Bradley does have a 35 page recipe book for their cures that you can download. Unfortunately it only has a recipe for curing ham using the dry cure. The package instructions state with a wet brine either inject or submerge. But to be honest, this is the first time I've seen instructions for curing by injection only, so those instructions may be a misprint.

The below link will take you to the Bradley Cure page, scroll half way down and you will see the link. Be forewarned it is about 55 MB.

Bradley Cure Recipes

Here is another link on how to prepare and smoke hams using a 10% injections:

Smoke Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chef57

Thanks everyone!  Hab, I saved your recipe for future reference.  I still have 4 raw hams (cut down from 25 lb to whatever they are now lol) to do so I will definitely use that recipe.  I managed not to kill us with my last attempt which is a good thing I think Martha would say!  Why don't they ever turn out as good as the very first one you do? 

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Chef57 on January 15, 2013, 12:02:08 PM
Thanks everyone!  Hab, I saved your recipe for future reference.  I still have 4 raw hams (cut down from 25 lb to whatever they are now lol) to do so I will definitely use that recipe.  I managed not to kill us with my last attempt which is a good thing I think Martha would say!  Why don't they ever turn out as good as the very first one you do?
Not being a smart aleck, but that is because we start second guessing ourselves and start changing things to make it better when it was perfectly fine the way it was!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!