• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

sausage recipe writers/makers

Started by sprightlyone, October 27, 2012, 12:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprightlyone

hi
i`ve trawled thru numerous sausage recipes some have cure in them some don`t 
question : can i add cure in the correct proportion & then use recipe in jerky -style GB or pack in skins & make snacks ??
lyle

Habanero Smoker

For ground meat jerky, the answer is yes, and you can stuff the mixture to make sausage out of it. If the original recipe you are using doesn't have cure #1 included in the ingredients; when you add cure#1 reduce the amount salt (using weight), by the amount of cure you are adding.

When you say snacks; are you talking about sticks? I have never made sticks, haven't looked at too many stick recipes, so I can't answer that question.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sprightlyone

hi
When you say snacks; are you talking about sticks?     i was referring to your slim jim`s we have something similar called twiggy sticks in a couple of levels of heat & thin

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sprightlyone on October 27, 2012, 04:30:38 PM
hi
When you say snacks; are you talking about sticks?     i was referring to your slim jim`s we have something similar called twiggy sticks in a couple of levels of heat & thin

I thought that is what you meant. I can't help you with that. I mainly make fresh sausages; and rarely will make smoked sausages and other sausages such as slim jims.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

Hi there,
Here's a couple slim jim recipes for you from our friend Nepas:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?339-NePas-Jalapeno-sticks
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?621-NePas-Spicy-Sticks
I have tried both of these recipes and have been very happy with the results.
Also, do a search for "snack sticks" and "slim jims" in the sausage making part of the forum and you will see even more recipes.
Hope this helps,
Carolyn