Elk Canadian Bacon and Pastrami

Started by Caribou, October 26, 2012, 06:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi everyone,
I started brining these two pieces of elk using Habs dry rub recipes for CB and pastrami.

After curing in the fridge for 6 days, I removed them from the fridge and rinsed them off.

I soaked them for 30 mins in cold water and fried a bit of both to check for saltiness.  They were both fine.

I tied a piece of butcher string around the CB so I could keep track of who was who.  Let them rest in the fridge uncovered for 24hrs

They got 2 hrs of smoke in a 225F smoke and I pulled them when they reached an IT of 150F.

They both came out fantastic and moist.  I'm super pleased :)
Carolyn

JZ

WOW what an awesome job. ;D ;D   Those look incredibly good.

mikecorn.1

Man, that looks good!  Good to see ya posting. Busy busy busy :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

OU812

Ya Baby!

Them there hunks of Elk look gooood!

KyNola

Those are beautiful Carolyn.  Great job.  I love elk when I can find it in a restaurant. 

What a treat to be able to have elk like that.

Caribou

Thanks guys :)
I made my daughter elk "mc muffins" with the CB and she loved it.
Carolyn

ACW3

Carolyn,
Your post inspires me to use up some of my reamining elk meat on both CB and pastrami.  I am getting ready for an elk hunt in early December and plan to refill my "depleted" freezer.  I haven't cured anything in a while.  Now looks like a good time.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

NePaSmoKer

Keymaster

Habanero Smoker

Beautifully done!!! With an internal temperature of 150°F, they still look very moist. Could you detect a distinct difference in flavor between the two?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 27, 2012, 01:02:14 PM
Beautifully done!!! With an internal temperature of 150°F, they still look very moist. Could you detect a distinct difference in flavor between the two?
I was going to pull them at 140F and they kind caught me off guard when they reached 150F so quickly.  That was only after 1 1/2 hour in the smoker.  I should have know better because lean stuff cooks so fast.  I don't have an IT monitor, but a very good analog that I trust and just check the meat with that.  That was the first time I checked it, too.  I'll start checking earlier next time.

Luckily, they came out plenty moist and I didn't let anyone take samples from them until they were completely cool, too.  Didn't want any loss of moisture. :D

The pastrami definitely has a more savory taste to it and the cb is slightly sweeter w/out the pepper and coriander flavor.  I love them both.  My daughter favors the cb and hubby likes the pastrami better, so I guess there will be peace in the household...for now ;)

Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack