HELP ... How to smoke Trout correctly?

Started by zr2paul, April 07, 2006, 07:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zr2paul

I've been wanting to smoke a trout for the longest time but I just don't know anything about smoking fish and preping them.

I've got 2 fresh Rainbow Trout that I caught yesterday, 1 is 2lbs and the other 2.5 pounds.  I have yet to fillet them.  I'm going to keep the skin on them as I was told it comes out better.  I would like to cold smoke them so that I can keep them in the fridge and just snack on them when I like.  What is the process to do this?  Please be as detailed as possible...like you're explaining it to a 4 year old LOL  ;D

Start from the very beginning, after filleting the fish.  I really appreciate all the help!  Thanks!  ;)

Paul

zr2paul

Am I on the right track....

Step 1
Find a Brine.  Keep the fish fillets in the brine for 10hours.  Use a plastic container NOT metal.

Step 2
Rinse the fish fillets in cold water.  Use a paper towel to dry them up a little.  Allow the fillets to dry on a towel or on a rack with the skin face up for an hour.  Once they are dry, place them in the fridge for 12 hours.

Step 3
Start the smoker and cooker.  Allow the temperature to reach 180-200F.  Place fillets on the racks with the skin face down.  Use any smoking flavor you want.  Allow the fish to smoke/cook for 2 hours.  Keep the vent open 1/2 way ... maybe more or less, it all depends.

Step 4
Allow the smoked fish to cool and its ready to eat

Do I have this all correct???

Paul

Kummok

You're headed in the right direction, Paul....check out Boutche's recipe on EsauAdam's recent "trout" post. It looks very easy/tasty!

Habanero Smoker

You also may want to change your temperature units to Fahrenheit, or you will be flash cooking the trout ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 07, 2006, 12:30:32 PM
You also may want to change your temperature units to Fahrenheit, or you will be flash cooking the trout ;D

Ouch! Now yer gettin personal Hab....that's job security for us firefighters! ;) :D

zr2paul

OOOPs  ::)  I fixed it now.  As for the brine, I just realized I purchased some HiMountain Brine.  I'm going to try that first.

How do I know when the fish is totally done (cooked)?  They are not very thick the trout I have so is 2 hours more than enough?  Is there a color or texture I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Paul

Habanero Smoker

I go by time and temperature. After I calculate the  approximate time, I use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature, and pull them out of the smoker when they reach 140 degrees F.

If only two trout are going to be in the smoker, I would do my first temperature check at 1.5 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

zr2paul

Should I remove the bones from the fish?  I hate having to worry about bones when eating fish so I would prefer to remove them prior to smoking/cooking unless it's not good to for whatever reason.

Paul

Habanero Smoker

I don't like bones in my fillets either. With fillets I always make sure all bones are removed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BOUTCH

Hi Paul !
for conservation about trout smoking.
if you want to conserve it, just put in vacuum pack(food saver)
and put on frezer and you can let it for 6 months.
this is for hot smoking. :D

me i prefer hot smoking

and my fillet trout are above 2 pounds each it is why i smoke  between 6 or 7 hours

because i love the fish more than undercooked (more fluffy)
i hope you know what i meand ;)

i wish you nice smoking and great taste too :P

BOUTCH

i HAVE FORGET SOME THING.   

When i smoke the trout, i do not turn on oven
i use only the generator bisquettes. (150 watt burner) and always the temperature
go only at 57 to 60 degree  celcius it is better to smoke longgggg time than to rapidly. and it is why i smoke so long time but the resultat is great.   

Smokin Coop

Do you think that a nice 8yr old bourbon would suffice as an alternative to the cognac?
What is this word, spa? I feel like you're starting to a say a word and you're not finishing it. Spaghetti? Are you taking me to a spaghetti day?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Smokin Coop on January 20, 2011, 02:24:58 PM
Do you think that a nice 8yr old bourbon would suffice as an alternative to the cognac?

I may need to sample that! Send it to me. ;D

Welcome to the Forum Smokin Coop.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Coop on January 20, 2011, 02:24:58 PM

If you like the flavor of bourbon, the only concern about the recipe would be the lemon juice. Maybe use an apple juice or apple cider instead. But note; this reply is from a person who does not like bourbon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

La Quinta