Looking for good goose/duck jerky recipe

Started by Greenhead, November 04, 2012, 01:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhead

I am planning on bagging a bunch of geese and ducks this season.  Was wondering if anyone has a good recipe to use for them.  What temp they should be smoked at and what temp are they done?  Hope someone can help me out.  Found a few online but nothing that I was very sure about.  Thanks for the help!!!

Mark in Ottawa

For geese I use the HiMountain goose jerky kit with some Maple or hickory smoke at the start. Finish either in the Bradley or the dehydrator. I do all my jerky at 160f.

If you're finishing the jerky in the Bradley make sure to rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back every hour.

Mark (in ottawa)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

devo

Duck or Goose jerky

Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.

Prep Time: 24 hours

Cook Time: 6-8 hours

3 pounds skinless, de-fatted duck or goose breast
2 cups water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Instacure No. 1
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon porcini powder (adds instant depth and earthy flavor to almost any dish)
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Slice the duck breasts into roughly 1/4 inch strips. Mix remaining ingredients well in a large bowl. Put the meat into the marinade and massage it all around to coat evenly. Pour everything into a seal-able plastic bag or container and set in the fridge. Let this marinate for at least 24 and up to 48 hours — the longer it is in the mix, the saltier the meat will get, but the longer it will last at room temperature. During the marinating process, massage the meat around in the bag to keep all the pieces in contact with the marinade.
Remove the duck from the bag and pat dry with paper towels. Either follow your dehydrator's instructions for making jerky (I dehydrate mine at 140 degrees), or smoke in the bradley @ 140-150°F

devo

Smoked Duck or Goose

While there are lots of ways to smoke a duck or goose, this is what I prefer. This recipe is designed for wild ducks or geese, but it does work with domestic birds as well. Once your birds have been smoked, they will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Serves 2-4.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 4 hours

1 large duck or small wild goose
Salt
1/4 cup thick maple syrup
Salt the duck well inside the cavity, then paint the outside of the bird with the maple syrup. Salt the outside well.
Set the bird in your smoker with a drip pan underneath. Smoke between 200 and 225 degrees over apple wood for 4 hours. Baste the ducks with the maple syrup every hour. When smoked, allow to cool completely, then carve. Serve cool or at room temperature as a cold cut or appetizer, or carve the breast whole and sear in a pan. Slice and serve with lentils.

Caribou

Devo,
That's my new favorite web blog.
I want to try both of those recipes.
Carolyn

Greenhead

Mark in Ottawa,
Do you grind it up and use gun or just use slices?  I never used that marinade is it a powder?

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: Greenhead on November 04, 2012, 10:35:36 AM
Mark in Ottawa,
Do you grind it up and use gun or just use slices?  I never used that marinade is it a powder?
I've done both - grind & gun and also slices actually. The kit is a powder and works with both.  Tasty stuff.
Mark (in Ottawa)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732