• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jamaican Jerk Pulled Pork, Peameal Bacon And Tri-Pork Baked Beans.

Started by OldHoss, November 07, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a great outcome. I'll use many of you techniques in my next butt; but you have to know I'm going with Walkerswood.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

I'm with you on the Walkerswood, Habs.  Got a picnic shoulder almost thawed to prep tomorrow and smoke/grill Wednesday.

OldHoss

I am in the process of cooking beans for the first time...this is my plan for......Tri-Pork Baked Beans.  Ingredients....

2 medium onions diced
1 large red bell pepper diced (pith and seeds removed)
juice from pork butt cook 1 cup or so
1.75 pounds navy beans soaked in lukewarm water for 4 hours and rinsed
6 cups water
6 slices thick bacon
2 apples sliced (shed of skin and core)
3 tblsp agave syrup
1 tblsp honey
1/3 cup molasses
1 cup mix of barbecue sauces (about and even mix here...not too much of that Baby Ray's as it has hickory in it)
1.5 tblsp rub mix (so far as this may change)
6 tblsp brown sugar (so far)
5 cups pulled pork including bark
2 cups smallish cubed smoked peameal bacon
1 cup and 1/3 apple juice
1/3 bottle Red Stripe

This is before the smoked pork is added but just after the apples are added.  They have not yet shrunk as they are afterwards:

I read a bunch of recipes and come up with this.  I hope not following a recipe or going with a doctored store bought can doesn't backfire here....the smell says I am fine though.

I soaked and rinsed the beans, fried the bacon till crispy, pulled it out and fried the Onion and red pepper in fat till semi clear....then put everything but the smoked pork together and it is now covered on the stovetop, on low heat, simmering nicely and stinking the house up in a wonderful way.  I have not added the pulled pork yet.  The smells coming out of this cook are sweet indeed - the peppers and apple with all those different sugars are at play big time. 

EDIT:

I added the pulled pork and smoked peameal bacon as well as a little hot water.  It has been 3 hours on the stovetop and I am having to stir this even on the lowest heat so it is going in a dutch oven now and into the oven at 305f.  For how long I do not know but the need for stirring is gone now.

EDIT 2:

I lowered the temp to 280f for awhile and added more water, some apple juice and beer as the moisture level was falling at times.  Now after 8 hours of total cooking these are done.  The beans are soft but not mushy at all and the flavours have melded in a righteous way.  Most of the strings of pulled pork have dissipated fully:

Beside or on top of more pulled pork is gonna be a wonderful thing tommorrow.  These are plenty sweet and chocked full of flavour.  There is a hint of heat but that is it.  I imagine the flavours are going to blend more and these may taste somewhat different after fridge time.

EDIT 3:

Got everything in the fridge and am winding it down for the day.  It is only 5 hours or so since I started samplings of this stuff and already the gaseous emissions have started.  It's been a while since I have eaten beans and I had forgotten.  Last week I saw something about beans and pulled pork being a traditional combo in some parts just as coleslaw and pulled pork is in others.  It just got me thinkin' and now it got me stinkin'.  I couldn't help that one.  Got a cousin known for his blue flame routine so the hi jinks run in the blood.
If you have it - smoke it.

OldHoss

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 11, 2012, 07:03:51 AM
I'm with you on the Walkerswood, Habs

Look here:

http://www.walkerswood.com/product_jerk_bbq_sauce.php

INGREDIENTS

Bananas, Water, Cane Sugar, Vinegar, Soya Bean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Caramel (colour), Garlic Powder, Scallions, Black pepper, Salt, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, All Spice, Paprika, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Nutmeg, Citric Acid, Thyme Leaves

Bananas???  I never would have guessed.  I am not due for any new barbecue sauces as I am full up....I had been meaning to try this at some point as you guys like it....but now that I see the banana thing?  I am gonna have to hurry up.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 11, 2012, 07:03:51 AM
I'm with you on the Walkerswood, Habs.  Got a picnic shoulder almost thawed to prep tomorrow and smoke/grill Wednesday.

If you use it to season your shoulder, I would like to know how it comes out.

OldHoss;
You've been cooking up a storm. The Tri-Pork Baked Beans look really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OldHoss

Money shots....

First some of that fine bark I attribute to a 26 hour cook with the molasses that got to 198f:

Ok now it is a few days later and I have been making sandwiches and I have this down good now.

The ingredients:

My beans turned out a little too sweet (less sugar next time and more smoke flavour in the juices too) but they are GREAT on a bun with some of the pulled pork and some pinnapple of all things!  I have had the yellow sweet ones on various sandwiches over the years and most were very good so when I saw some looking out at me from the fridge the other day I jumped on it and was not let down at all.  This little sandwich is a winner folks.

So add the thin pinnapple to bottom of the chibata bun:

then add the pulled pork and some scotch bonnet hot sauce:

and finish it off with the Tri-Pork And Beans:

I have frozen the beans in sandwich size bags as this stuff is sooooo good on this pulled pork.  I make these guys on the large side so what falls out must be eaten outside of the bread.  The mix with the meat and the bean mixture is outstanding.  The combo of the sweet pinnapple, the scotch bonnet, that pulled pork and the crazy beans is worth ...... about 10 bucks in my opinion.  If I had to pay for one I would.  And that is good.

Habanero Smoker

Very creative sandwich, and it does look good. You can also make pulled pork cocktails. To make them; use an 18 oz glass (for parties use plastic cups) and layer your ingredients in them. For example, maybe crushed pineapple in the bottom, a layer of baked beans, then a layer of pulled pork, and finally topped with a layer of coleslaw. I first had one of these at a festival, and occasionally will make them for cookouts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OldHoss

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 16, 2012, 02:02:06 AM
pulled pork cocktails

Holy crap HB!  It is early in the day and that just put a big smile on my face.

Habanero Smoker

You have to try it at least once. I'm surprised at how good they are. And with yours, by the time you get to the bottom you have dessert waiting. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.