• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Should I buy a Digiatal Smoker (6 rack)

Started by daverp, November 13, 2012, 11:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daverp

So I talked my self into buying the 6 rack digital smoker as it seemed ideal for me.  Now reading all the posts about the heating elements and the need for an extra PID I'm talking myself out of buying one.

Is the 6 rack digital smoker, in it's stock configuration, worth buying?

Ketch22

Hi daverp
I have the 6 rack and the 4 rack.I did the mod.on the 4 rack and I love the way it works. Now all I use is the 4 rack. I plane on doing a mod on the 6 rack because it has more room in it but for now the 4 rack is just fine. They both worked fine but the mod made it so I could control them better.

Ketch

GusRobin

I think the Bradley is definitely worth it. First you need to decide if you need the room of a 6 rack. If not, a 4 rack OBS with an Auber PID gives you all the benefits of a 4 rack digital at the approx. same total price( in my opinion and if you shop around on Amazon, Wal-mart etc). If you want to add the second element, the mod is a simple one. (Just do it sober or the wires get mixed up and you blow a fuse,don't ask how I know).
I can't speak for the 6 rack as I have a 4 rack.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

daverp

I wanted the 6 rack to have room to cold smoke sausage.

GusRobin

I smoke sausage in my 4 rack, they are just a little bit shorter ;D ;D ;D. The optimum for me would be a six rack OBS, which they don't make.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

JZ

I have 2 4 racks, the OBS and the DBS. I got the DBS because I didn't like fiddling with the temp controller on the OBS to try and get the temps right. Loved the DBS until I started making sausages and was concerned that the temp swings in the DBS could cause a fat out with the sausage. The temp will go above the set point then coast to a lower temp and then the element comes back on and the temp goes up again and can go above the set temp. These swings can be 30* between high and low. Fine for most things but could cause problems with sausage. So I modded the OBS with dual elements, extra racks and added a PID. Now the temps in the OBS stay where they are set and no more fiddling. Also get the benefit of being able to program different temps for different durations, ie start at 140* for 2hrs then go up to 160* for 2 hrs then up to 175* for 2 hrs. With the DBS you can set one temp for one duration. So if you want to step the temps like described above you will need to set a timer to remind you when it is time to go back to the smoker and increase the temperature.

I sometimes wish that I bought a 6 rack when I am making sausages just for the extra cabinet height. This would allow me to hang longer chubs. The drawbacks to the 6 rack IMHO are 1) if you live in a colder climate you may not be able to get the cabinet temps up high enough for some cooks because of the extra air volume that needs to be heated, 2) it costs more and if you end up adding a PID you have paid more for the digital stuff that your not going to use.

If your weren't planning on doing sausages I would say get the 4 rack with PID.

If money is not an issue then plan on spending the money for a 6 rack with a PID and second element. Get the 6 rack and use as is. Then if you find you need the PID and another element, at least you have accounted for it and won't be PO'd about the extra costs. If you find you don't need the extras then you can celebrate your savings and use that money to buy more stuff to smoke. ;)

Hope this helps.

GusRobin

JZ - can you use the OBS SG with the digital's 6 rack cabinet?

daverp

I'm in Chicago so definitely a cold climate.  This is a tough choice. 

I'm think maybe get a six rack now and use it as and then plan the second element and pid upgrade down the road.  Although Amazon's price on the 4 rack Original is pretty good right now, but then again so is the price on the six. 

I take it from the reading the forum that the stock smoke generator can't handle the 900 watt element upgrade.

GusRobin

Quote from: daverp on November 14, 2012, 12:22:39 PM

I take it from the reading the forum that the stock smoke generator can't handle the 900 watt element upgrade.
Not sure what you mean. If it can handle the 2nd element upgrade, (each at 500w=1000w) it should handle the 900W. But I'll defer to others that have done the 900w upgrade

daverp

from what I read to do the 900 watt upgrade or the dual element upgrade you need to bypass the existing controller in the smoke generator and use an external PID.

GusRobin

I don't know about that. But if it can handle 2 500W it can handle the 900W

JZ

QuoteJZ - can you use the OBS SG with the digital's 6 rack cabinet?

I don't see why not, but you will require a PID to operate the OBS SG with the digital 6 rack box. I am not sure what the purpose of the question is though.

According to previous posts by others the SG cannot handle the 900W or the dual 500W (total 1000W) elements. The SG is only designed to run 500W plus the 125W SG puck heater. For the 900W or dual 500W elements a PID is required. I have done the dual element mod using an Auber PID. Power for the element(s) is supplied by the PID and the SG only powers the puck heater.

GusRobin

Quote from: JZ on November 14, 2012, 01:41:48 PM
QuoteJZ - can you use the OBS SG with the digital's 6 rack cabinet?

I am not sure what the purpose of the question is though.
Because I have an OBS and a dual PID. I am thinking of trying to obtain a 6 rack cabinet so I have more capacity. I don't want to pay for a SG (digital) that I wouldn't really need. Main problem is that Bradley doesn't sell the cabinet separately.
(So if anyone has a 6 rack cabinet they want to sell, let me know. ;D ;D)

JZ

QuoteQuote from: JZ on Today at 01:41:48 pm

JZ - can you use the OBS SG with the digital's 6 rack cabinet?

I am not sure what the purpose of the question is though.

Because I have an OBS and a dual PID. I am thinking of trying to obtain a 6 rack cabinet so I have more capacity. I don't want to pay for a SG (digital) that I wouldn't really need. Main problem is that Bradley doesn't sell the cabinet separately.
(So if anyone has a 6 rack cabinet they want to sell, let me know. ;D ;D)

Now it all makes sense.  ;D ;) I'd like a 6 rack cab too, or something taller than the 4 rack, just for sausages. But I will make do with the 4 rack for now.

daverp

I bought the six rack digital smoker, 60 variety pack of pucks, and the cover.   Figure I will use it as stock for now and do the dual element mod and pid later.