Maple Cured Bacon

Started by wyrman, November 14, 2012, 07:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

No Habs is right! Some times I get a thought and start writing before I think. Didn't mean to do that. Sorry was just trying  to help.Happy Thanksgiving to all! God Bless you all!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wyrman

I finally got around to slicing it up this morning. I cooked some for breakfast also and it's a keeper! My wife really likes it and I do also.
I wasn't sure as I don't like the store bought maple bacon but this wasn't even close.
I got seven packages of twelve.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to read your wife liked it. How much smoke and which bisquettes you decided to use?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wyrman

I only put an hour of maple smoke on it. I did this in a fridge smoker also.

Consooger

nice lookin bacon ya got there! Everyone wins!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

viper125

Very nice Bacon! Love homemade bacon! So much better then the stores. Haven't even made any cold smoked yet! As the wife likes it smoked so its just heat and go. But may try some too!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

destrouk

here is my staple goto bacon ..I have done well over 100lbs and I do cold smoke this is just the brine version I posted in anouther group my dry rub I will share asap
OK, so let's start with a 5 lbs pork belly.  This is the easy 3 day brine.  You can leave it longer but no more than 5. You will need:4 cups of sea salt2 cups of brown sugar1/2 cup of chilli flakes1/4 cup of crushed black pepper in say 4 to 5 liters of water150ml of molassesA dash of cayanne pepperFreshly ground black pepperA large zip-lock type plastic bag (you may want to also have an additional container to put everything in case of leaks).  Alternatively, you can use a plastic container as long as it has a lid and a soup bowl with water in it to weigh down the meat. The meat must be turned every day for 3 days. Let it air dry to get the Pellicule formed (this does two things: stops the site getting to the meat and makes the smoke hold better).  This takes a while and I like to leave it overnight with a fan going (see pics).  Cut a bit off and check the meat.  If you cook it up at this stage it is called green bacon.  If you find it is too salty (remember you do need salt though as no chemicals were used – a grey area with some) leech it in cold water. If you did 3 days do it for 2 hours dry and check.  Add an hour for each day.  Grind pepper into the fat cap and press down into that fat. For cold smoke: 10 to 12 hours. For hot smoking: it takes about 4 hours to hit the IT of 150.  Do not go over the IT of 150. Let air dry again and vacuum seal whether done hot or cold.  It is good in the fridge for 5 days (they say 2 weeks but never had any around that long). Private Message me for any questions.