Skinning a slab of Belly

Started by Tenpoint5, February 27, 2013, 08:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I was asked if I would shoot a video of how I trim the skin/hide off a Fresh Pork Belly. I normally trim my bellies into thirds. This makes the process a whole lot faster for me. I also do this so the slabs will fit in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag when curing. Please keep in mind that this isn't a major production. It was shot with my phone. NO I DO NOT KEEP THE SKIN TO MAKE CRACKLINS, I THROW THEM AWAY. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM GO RIGHT AHEAD. I DON'T WANT TO!

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE VIDEO

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Smoke some

X3

beefmann

SouthernSmoked

Nice video Chris!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

CoreyMac

Awesome job with a straight blade knife.  The biggest thing I found with skinning belly is the knife, I can't do it with that type of knife, I can't leave a nice amount of fat. I got a couple of good skinning knives (real good curve in the blade and that made a huge difference)

RedJada

Thanks 10.5, wished you would have posted this earlier. I looked on youtube to see how to do this. I could only find one good video from a chief at a cooking school. He pretty much skinned his with no fat on the skin. http://youtu.be/SsdqRjI5OAE
So naturally, I was worried about taking too much fat and/or getting into the meat. After watching your vid, I feel better how mine came out.  ;D

SmokinSignals

That thinner bladed knife worked pretty good.  Will try one of my filet knives next time to see how it works.  Thanks again.

NePaSmoKer

You did real good on this Amigo  ;D

wkahler

I just order mine with the skin off.................LOL!!!  But i do like your video and also like the time you took to do it!  Sometimes i have to cut some of the fat off once i get the belly from the butcher, but since it is fresh when they butcher on Wednesday it makes it easy enough!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Sailor

Thanks for the video Chris.  In the past I have cured and smoked with the skin on and then peeled the skin after the smoke.  Will for sure give your way a try next time I do bacon!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: wkahler on March 13, 2013, 05:40:37 PM
I just order mine with the skin off.................LOL!!!  But i do like your video and also like the time you took to do it!  Sometimes i have to cut some of the fat off once i get the belly from the butcher, but since it is fresh when they butcher on Wednesday it makes it easy enough!

I normally get my bellies with the skin off as well. However there are those times when you get a whole case of bellies for an awesome price of $1.99 pound. Then you do what you have to do. If making this little video helps 1 or 2 people in making their life easier, or convinces 1 or 2 people that making bacon at home isn't that hard. Than I done good and the video served it's purpose.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wkahler

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 17, 2013, 07:37:01 AM
Quote from: wkahler on March 13, 2013, 05:40:37 PM

I normally get my bellies with the skin off as well. However there are those times when you get a whole case of bellies for an awesome price of $1.99 pound. Then you do what you have to do. If making this little video helps 1 or 2 people in making their life easier, or convinces 1 or 2 people that making bacon at home isn't that hard. Than I done good and the video served it's purpose.

I agree and you can't pass up that kind of a price thats for sure!  When i get mine from the local butcher they always have more fat cab on them then my ones i get from the 4H pigs we get in the super.  I think it is mainly because they take more of the cap off when they skin the belly out.  My local place butchers pigs every Wednesday so i can get them there whenever if i run out before the 4H pigs are ready.

Just a FYI i added some vanilla to your recipe on my last batch and it gave it a super sweet taste.  We make out own vanilla so it was easy to try and not worry about wasting it LOL!! :o
The smoking lamp is lit!!!