smoked pheasant

Started by murrhunts, November 25, 2012, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murrhunts

Ok guys I went pheasant hunting yesterday and was lucky enough to get a few.  I made a brine up of Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper.  I am going to put 3 birds in this for 12 hrs.  Any idea on how long to smoke and what flavor may be best?  I would like to be able to pull this out of the eat it right away or eat it cold, like smoked turkey. 

thanks

mikecorn.1

I like to do yard bird for 2 hrs max. Apple is good since its not so strong. Experiment an see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

murrhunts

I got the pheasant done, I used a mixture of apple and hickory for 4 hrs. and cooked till they reached 170 degrees IT.  I soaked them in a simple brine that I just made up myself.  Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper for 24 hrs in a plastic bucket in a cooler with ice around it.

Today was the taste test, and it was great.  My wife even liked it and wanted me to hunt more pheasants, if she like it than it must be good ha ha.  I have to start taking pics for the website.

This smoking thing is really a lot of fun

Tenpoint5

Quote from: murrhunts on November 28, 2012, 06:46:58 PM
I got the pheasant done, I used a mixture of apple and hickory for 4 hrs. and cooked till they reached 170 degrees IT.  I soaked them in a simple brine that I just made up myself.  Kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper for 24 hrs in a plastic bucket in a cooler with ice around it.

Today was the taste test, and it was great.  My wife even liked it and wanted me to hunt more pheasants, if she like it than it must be good ha ha.  I have to start taking pics for the website.

Reel him in Boy's he's HOOKED!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Shasta bob

Quote from: murrhunts on November 28, 2012, 06:46:58 PM

I see no Pheasant photos maybe it never happened?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

murrhunts

ha ha I was waiting for that comment, I have 3 more that I am going to do this weekend I will have pictures.  Just have to find the cable for my phone to download them.