How cold can i cold smoke?

Started by bostonsmoker, November 18, 2012, 09:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

Is there a minimum temperature where its too cold to cold smoke? Its 40 degrees out, and I'm wondering if I should set up the cold smoker box... Will it be too cold, or should I use the ambient heat from the smoke generator to get to a more ideal temp?
Smoking cheese today, and making some cold smoked salmon.

beefmann

i would say that any temperature that  would freeze the meat is too cold, most cold smoking is below 70 F .. heard as high as 100 F... so your 40 f would be great to cold smoke at... if yo  are  using a cold smoke adapter  all the better to keep temps down.

Good luck and hope this helps

devo

If your doing cheese people like to hold it between 70-90 F just to give the cheese some color. Its not going to make it taste any better just looks nicer.

Habanero Smoker

I try to stay around the 70°F area is where I feel I get the best smoke flavor, but don't go over 90°F. Though cold smoking usually gives you a stronger smoke flavor, the colder you go there is a point of diminishing returns. I'm not sure what the lower limit would be, but I would try to stay over 40°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bostonsmoker

Smokeville

Quote from: devo on November 18, 2012, 11:03:03 AM
If your doing cheese people like to hold it between 70-90 F just to give the cheese some color. Its not going to make it taste any better just looks nicer.

Devo, I just finished a smoke of some cheddar and mozzarella and the colour is the same as when it went in. It's about 33-34F outside. Is it the higher temp that gives it the colour?

Thanks, Rich

40 below smoker

It's about -20 F here today and I am smoking cheese as well. Cheddar, mozzarella, and some cream cheese. Threw in some almonds just to take up space. No color on cheese after 40 min of smoke, another 40 to go. Hoping it colors up a little. Hard to keep constant temp with it being so cold...

viper125

I do 80-90 degrees and usually 100 is ok. As long as your not doing processed cheese. Yuk. I prefer real cheese but do some processed the wife likes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.