Need Thermometer

Started by kla911, April 11, 2006, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kla911

I have the internal probe- I now need a thermomter for inside the BS. Any suggestions or locations? Thanks Firefighter Kenny

Habanero Smoker

If you live in the U.S., many of us use or have used the Maverack ET-73 http://www.maverickhousewares.com/thermometers/remote_therm.htm . I would do a search to see who has the lowest price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Funny this come up my Weber remote temp gauge is 8-10 dregees lower then my bradley when i am doing food .Which is the best most reliable temp gauge on the market.Anyone on this.Ive been going with the bradley temps and all seems ok.And yes there are fresh batteries in both set ups.SO WHAT GIVES.Please share with me what the best most reliable temp gauges is and is reasonable on the market.I am confused why this weber on is off.the bradley is fine but its not a remote.And thats what i am looking for.Thanks again guys.Is my problem i bought 2 pieces of crap to start with should i just go with this mavrick 73 .Whats the deal with this weber one.I dont get it .OR is this like buying a caddy to a cavalier.Sorry im pissed with this temp gauge deal.Also why do all temp gauges have different temps on the .Like chicken done at 165 on one and the other temp gauges says 185.Why isnt there a standard in this temp gauging area.Sorry once again your dealing with a rookie looking for answers.

Habanero Smoker

I recall you know about testing the probes for accuracy by sticking them into boiling water. I recall you have the Bradley temperature probe, and you are not referring to the temperature gauge on the door. I'm not sure if this link will work for you, but as you said it's funny how things happen. I just read this report about five days ago http://www.cooksillustrated.com/testing.asp?testingid=311 . If the link doesn't work it may be because you need to be a subscriber.

If you are talking about internal meat temperatures (not cabinet temperatures) in which you get the 8 degree variance; there could be a number of factors to cause different readings. You did not mention where you are placing the probes when got the different readings. That information would help.

As far as the FDA recommended internal temperatures, that's what they are recommendations; except where the FDA clearly states to bring food to a certain temperature, as they do with ground beef and the reheating of left overs. The example you give about chicken most now use 165 for whole chicken or dark meat, and 155 for the breast, which are now considered safe temperatures. I don't know why there is no one standard. If you check the health regulations in various states, they often give different internal meat temperatures. New York requires these temperature as the minimums internal temps: 165°  poultry & leftovers, 160°  ground beef, 150°  pork, 145°  eggs, 140°  beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

begolf25

kla911,

I got my Maverick 73 at www.ikitchen.com.  They have them for $39.88 right now.  When I placed my order they gave me a coupon code for 10% off my next order so I am sure it will work for you too.  Just enter "LUCKY" when checking out and that should get you 10% off the $39.88.

Icerat,
This seems like the best price for the Mavericks so you could take advantage of the coupn code also if you planning on getting one.

Here is the link to the Maverick...
http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/maresmth.html

Bryan

icerat4

Are you guys saying that this mavrick 73 is much much more reliable.Like i said is it comparing a caddy to a cavalier when put up to these other temp gauges.[quoteIf you are talking about internal meat temperatures (not cabinet temperatures) in which you get the 8 degree variance; there could be a number of factors to cause different readings. You did not mention where you are placing the probes when got the different readings. That information would help.Its the internal temps of the meat thats why the probes are mention .SORRY i wasnt very clear but its the temp gauges for internal temps im havin this problem. Both the bradley and the weber read different temps and i do stick them in the same place and i have put new baterries in both and i have done the water boiling test and thats ok .Also the weber remote keeps cutting out the signal and its only 50 feet away .Are this just junk and should i just move on to a more proven temp gauge like the mavrick.Which mavrick is the best one .Is the one with dual temp sensor for too different meat good or what.aww WHAT THE HECK I BOUGHT THE MT73. I hope this works out better then the other weber one .

begolf25

Icerat,

The Maverick is the only thermometer I have used so I can't tell you if it is better then anything else.  I can tell you mine is very accurate.  I have a kitchen thermometer that I made sure was accurate with a boiled water test.  I used both probes while doing my last pork shoulder and they both were never more the a degree or two off from each other.  Also, my Bradley door thermometer is always at least 8-10 degrees off from my Maverick for the cabinet temp. so I always go with the reading my Maverick is giving me.

MallardWacker

One thing about the Maverick, even if though I do not have one yet, is that has been documented here that  you have a company that you can go to when/if you have a problem unlike the other ones you buy at your favorite kitchen store.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

icerat4

Yea i thought this weber grille one would be ok and it was til the signal keeps cutting out at only 50 ft away with nothing in between it.its a stright shot from the remote to the door inside my house.THE SIGNAL COMES AND GOES.??? Thats weber for ya. :(

Habanero Smoker

The Maverick has it's problems. The range will be shorter, but you have more control over setting temperatures. They are not preset like the Weber. People have had problems with the temp probes (me being one of them) in the Maverick, if it happens within 90 days they will replace it for free, if not it will cost $12.50 to replace. But it's not a matter of which is best, both have certain features that out perform the other. It's what you need and/or can work with.

I check the link to Cook's Illustrated and it will not work. Basically what CI states:

• Better for Barbecue: Maverick Remote Smoker Thermometer $39.99 -The range (advertised at 100 feet, 30 feet in testing) limits its usefulness, but a second probe measures ambient grill temperature.

• Runs Too Hot: Weber Barbecue Beeper Digital Thermometer $34.95 -Great range, but it's not obvious when you've left it. Preset temperature alerts are limiting.

It's not clear what CI means about it run's too hot. They may be talking about the preset temperature which they complained about in the full review. Such as your example of the preset for chicken on the Weber is 185; CI suggests 165; so the closest you can get is to select Beef Medium 160, or Beef Well Done 170; but you can't set it for 165.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 11, 2006, 08:18:48 PM
I recall you know about testing the probes for accuracy by sticking them into boiling water. I recall you have the Bradley temperature probe, and you are not referring to the temperature gauge on the door. I'm not sure if this link will work for you, but as you said it's funny how things happen. I just read a report about five days ago on the Cook's Illustrated site comparing the remote thermometers.

If you are talking about internal meat temperatures (not cabinet temperatures) in which you get the 8 degree variance; there could be a number of factors to cause different readings. You did not mention where you are placing the probes when got the different readings. That information would help.

As far as the FDA recommended internal temperatures, that's what they are recommendations; except where the FDA clearly states to bring food to a certain temperature, as they do with ground beef and the reheating of left overs. The example you give about chicken most now use 165 for whole chicken or dark meat, and 155 for the breast, which are now considered safe temperatures. I don't know why there is no one standard. If you check the health regulations in various states, they often give different internal meat temperatures. New York requires these temperature as the minimums internal temps: 165°  poultry & leftovers, 160°  ground beef, 150°  pork, 145°  eggs, 140°  beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Thanks habs  ;) all the info is a great help i will keep all three temps gauges no biggie just more stuff to have in the pile. ;D And i do completly understand the internal temp deal now with your help.Once again thanks guys  ;D