• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

kosher salt

Started by mez, December 01, 2012, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

can i substitute canning salt for kosher salt?

devo

pickling salt = canning salt = canning and pickling salt

Salt Substitutions

When using salt, you may not have available some of those listed above or a recipe may call for one type you don't like. Substitution may become necessary. Here are a few suggested substitutions:

Kosher salt – a non-iodized coarse table salt or a coarse pickling salt but make sure you read the label and there are no additives.  When making this substitution use about half the salt called for in the recipe.

Pickling salt – substitute Kosher salt which is free of additives that can turn your pickle brine cloudy.

Pretzel salt – Kosher salt or a coarse sea salt.

Table salt – Kosher salt but use twice the salt called.

mez

so i should use 1/2 the salt needed since i'm useing canning instead of kosher right?

devo

Hey Mez
You know I just googled that answer for you and it really dont seem right to me. I have in the past use canning salt instead of kosher because thats all I had and found no difference that i could tell. Maybe wait for a better answer but there is lots of info out on the web about salt

RedJada

I would just season to taste. Don't really mater what seasoning you are using. If it tastes good... Experimenting is the best part of cooking.

mez

true but i don't want 10lbs of to salty kielbasa

devo

Every where I looked said the same thing, Yes you can use canning salt/pickling salt for kosher and vice versus.

Pickling salt contains no additives and is a fine grain so it will dissolve easily in brine.

Kosher salt is also without additives but the grain is often coarser.

They are interchangeable with one warning. The difference in the grain size will make a difference in how much salt you'll actually get in a volume measure.

i.e. a tablespoon of a fine grained salt will contain more salt than a tablespoon of a coarse grained salt. That's because the coarse grains will have more air spaces between the grains and therefore less salt in the spoon. Finer grains pack closer together.

If you measure by weight, there will be no difference.

mez

i measured by TBS already mixed the spices .Just a little hesitant to use it if its to salty.I wouldn't think it needs to be cut in half though I don't know.guess just run with it and find out.

Mr Walleye

Mez

How much pickling salt are you using for 10 lbs?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mez

4 TBS in your mikes kielbasa recipe

Mr Walleye

Mez

I always use a course salt which would be equivalent to the Kosher salt in the USA. Here in Canada the salt I use is Pickling salt but it is very course. I just weighed 1 Tbs of the course salt I use and it shops 17 grams. You could weigh you salt just to see what a Tbs weighs.

In my recipe I used to use 10 Tbs per 20 lb batch but I wanted to reduce the salt content somewhat so 8 tbs was what I came up with for a little reduced level.

Eventually I would like to completely switch my recipes over to metric with a percentage for the ingredients. Metric is very easy to work with for sausage making and using percentages for all the ingredients you can adapt it any size batch very easily.

Mike

Piker

Reading them above posts with interest. Since I am on a slightly reduced sodium intake I cut the salt amt in half in all my recipes and truly enjoy the results. I have even made jerky with no salt other than the tsp of cure #1 I put in.   It has been pretty well all experimental over a few yrs and have had no complaints from family and friends. Piker

mez

just weighed a TBS its 23 grams.I tasted a sample patty  and it was a little salty but damn good .Don't think I have anything to worry about after I smoke it tomorrow.Thanks for all the help tonight this forum is a life saver.And many thanks for all the recipe's shared here .

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mez on December 01, 2012, 08:22:57 PM
just weighed a TBS its 23 grams.I tasted a sample patty  and it was a little salty but damn good .Don't think I have anything to worry about after I smoke it tomorrow.Thanks for all the help tonight this forum is a life saver.And many thanks for all the recipe's shared here .

Mez

Anytime I do a test sample on sausage it seems to have a stronger salt taste than the finished product does. I don't know why, maybe just because all the flavors melt together or something.

I think you will be fine.

Mike

devo

One thing that at least I found interesting in this thread was the fact brought up be Mr. Walleye. We both live in Canada and the canning/pickling salt we get here is course salt swapping it out for kosher salt there is no big difference. From what I have been reading the canning/pickling salt in the U.S is a fine salt and that would make a difference. You guys just have to be different  eh?!!!!  ;D