• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dual element--wire thru original Thermal Cut Off, or add another?

Started by drano, December 05, 2012, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

OK, after about 9 years of owning my OBS, I'm finally getting around to the second element mod.
I read and searched, but couldn't find the answer to my question. 
What's the best way to wire the second element into an OBS?
-- wire it thru the existing thermal cut off?  Can one thermal cut off handle the load of 2 heating elements?
-- buy a second thermal cut off from Yard and Pool and wire it into the second element?
-- no thermal cut off on second element--wired directly to power plug?

I read both OBS and DBS dual element mods on Susan Minor.  Mike talks about the options.  But since its a 2009 post, I'm sure we've got plenty of field-tested dual elements out there, and I figure I'll learn from those who have been running them for a while.  My smoker sits in a plastic cabinet against my house on the deck, so a thermal cut off one way or another would be a nice safety precaution. 

Thanks

rexster

I, along with a lot of others, have wired the second element parallel. It's all on one fuse, I saw no need to put the second element in with a switch either. It has done exactly what I wanted it to do and that's a quick preheat time, quick recover time ( of course using an Auber ) and slightly higher cook temps.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Habanero Smoker

I wired mine separately, and added a switch so that I can turn off the second element if needed. I did not connect it to the existing thermal cutoff. Wiring in a second thermal cutoff will provide another safety measure.

Also if you haven't replaced your glass element, when you add the second element I recommend that your replace the glass element with a new all metal element. Though my glass element was working fine, I replaced it just as a precaution. I wasn't sure if the heat from the second element would cause the glass to fail.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Drano,

I just wired mine to the original element with two short 3-4 inch loops of high temp wire on each end. I didn't see any need for a switch and so I like to keep things simple.  It's been running fine for over a year now.

viper125

Did the switch with mine. Like the idea of having option to turn one off. Didnt add a sensor just use the maverick to watch and set the alarm to warn me if somethings going wrong.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

drano

Thanks for the posts.
Forgot to mention, I have an Auber plug n play PID, and use it on all smokes.  And my slider temp controller has been bypassed with a jumper wire.

Obviously, several wiring methods work, and personal needs cause us to select one method over another.
I don't have a need for adding a switch to the second element. 

Since its clear the existing Thermal Cut Off can handle 1000 watts, I'll most likely run it that way.  And I guess the existing wire is heavy enough for that power also--even though it looks pretty small to me.
Once I open the cabinet back, I'll decide if I splice into wires, or do the 3-4 inch jumper from the current element to the added one. 

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

drano

Habs,
I will order 2 new ones from Yard and Pool and put them in, keeping my original as a spare. 
As I read some of the early threads on adding an element, I wish I had done this long ago--since elements only cost about $12 back then!
I've got another project in front of this one (snow blower mod--gonna need that soon!), so I may not order the elements until early January--gotta spread out the toy expenses.   
But I have to get the plan figured out for when I'm ready to do it. 

Habanero Smoker

The price of the elements did jump quite a bit. I believe when I purchased mine the were $10 each.

My snow blower is ready, but I'm hoping to have a winter like last year. The only time I needed to use my snow blower was November 1, 2011; due to a snow storm that came in on Halloween.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

I do have a small length of the braided high temp wire I used. If any ones doing the short pig tails I could cut and send it to you if you like. Would of offered sooner but found it today!    Figure pig tailing it would just be a short length required. 3-4 inches probably. Let me know if interested. No sence in buyiny 6-8 inches the postage would be more then the wire.  ;) ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.