• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slice With or Across the Grain

Started by JZ, December 07, 2012, 09:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Going to try some muscle jerky instead of the GB I have been making and found some recipes with different slicing recommendations. Some suggest slicing with the grain and others across the grain. I would think that if it were sliced across the grain the meat would be more tender and absorb the spices / smoke better, but might break apart too easily. The slices would probably need to be thicker too.

Has anyone done this or does everyone slice with the grain. That is the only way I have ever seen muscle jerky, but maybe there is a better way. :)

Also how thick do you slice yours ..... I've seen 1/8" to 1/4"?

SouthernSmoked

I always cut with the grain.  I think it tends to fall apart if you cut across it. However with the slicing with grain the jerky is chewy.

Also I try to slice between 1/4"heavy.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Quarlow

Across the grain and 1/8th on the heavy side thick for me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JZ

Wow that was fast and thanks. It looks like I might have to try both ways. ;)

viper125

Across unless you have tough teeth. Mine don't fall apart but is easier to break off. I usually slice 1/4" 1/8 in a little then for me. And tends to over cook no matter what you do.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

I love my friend SouthernSmoked.  Mark and I have shared a beer or two ;) BUT this is where he and I have a difference of opinion.  I would slice against the grain.

Mark, can I sill get some more Goetta?  That stuff is awesome!  Cincinnati's own.

JZ

Well I sliced it up and it's in the fridge for an overnight rest. Looks like I chose the wrong path. I cut about 1/3 across the grain and the rest with it.  Guess I will be chewing for a while. :)

This is just a test run anyways to see if I really need to get the Cabela's dehydrator that is on sale or if the old little one I have is good enough.

OU812

Against the grain and 1/4" here

Cant wait to see and here how your jerky turns out

Consooger

I do both, I make 2 different piles when slicing. When it is finished It all goes in the bag that way when I pull a piece I don't know what I'm in for  :P
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JZ on December 07, 2012, 07:25:40 PM
Well I sliced it up and it's in the fridge for an overnight rest. Looks like I chose the wrong path. I cut about 1/3 across the grain and the rest with it.  Guess I will be chewing for a while. :)

This is just a test run anyways to see if I really need to get the Cabela's dehydrator that is on sale or if the old little one I have is good enough.

Yes you need the Cabela's one that is one sale. Just ask anyone that owns one or uses one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JZ

QuoteYes you need the Cabela's one that is one sale. Just ask anyone that owns one or uses one.

Needed or not it is on the way and should arrive before Christmas. :)