Hello

Started by Trophy 205, December 07, 2012, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trophy 205

Hi all,

I hate to ask a newby question in my first post / introduction...but here goes :)

I just set up my new digital Bradley and am "smoking it in".  The instructions say to set the smoker at 150F which I've done.  I stuck my Bradley digital thermometer in the vent on top and it's reading app. 196F  shouldn't it be reading closer to 150F? 

Randy

Silvergrizz

Welcome aboard, you will find that you will get large temp swings based on various factors. Since you are just during up for the first time, you are experiencing these wild swings. I routinely see + or - 30 degrees with my Bradley, and I am a newbie as well, 4 smokes under my belt. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DaveT261

Hi Randy

I'm new here too, its a very friendly place.  You are 1 up on me I haven't been able to season mine due to a streak of rain and the weather forecast calls for rain the next 5 days or so.  I made my first post and everyone welcomed me.  I am sure both of us will have a lot of questions but this forum seems to enjoy helping new Bradley users.  I am sure you will like this board as well as I will.  I have been smoking on an offset for years but it seems using a Bradley is a whole different ball game, as I feel like a green horn with it.  This group will help us with any question we have. 

I am truly honored to be a part of it.

beefmann

SiFumar

Welcome to the forum!  I can't answer this question, I don't have a digital.  But there is fluctuations with all the smokers that you will learn to adjust for.  I'm thinking it just might be because it's empty.  I'm sure someone will be around that has more knowledge to answer your question.  Remember we like pictures!

Keymaster

KyNola

Randy, welcome to the forum.  Don't worry about the temp from a digital thermometer on the "seasoning" smoke.  The initial smoke is to eliminate any residual oils from the manufacturing process.

You're good to go!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. Dont worry about the temp swings. Its normal.
Mike

Trophy 205

Thanks for the response guys.  I'm getting ready to put the first ribs in as soon as it's up to temp.  Going with the 2-1-1 method with half being a homemade dry rub mixture and the other half store bought Famous Dave's.  (Daughter loves Famous Dave's)  I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!  Which ever one is the winning rub will get to go on a small Brisket later this week   ;D

Trophy 205

My first smoked ribs in the Digital Bradley was a huge success!   I'm a bit surprised that the temperature would fluctuate as much as it did?  I smoked for 2 hours with the temp. set at 230F that provided a temperature that ranged between 217 - 235deg F. with the digital probe stuck in the top vent.   after the first two hours I wrapped the ribs in foil after brushing on some apple juice and pouring the remaining 1/4 cup of apple juice in the bottom of the foil and cooked with no smoke for 1 hour.  At the end of 3 hours I removed the ribs from the foil and brushed on some Sweet Baby Rays sauce and cooked for 1 hour at 230deg.  They were fantastic!  Now the fun comes with experimenting / tweaking things a bit the next time.

dman4505

Welcome to all the new folks, you'll find this is a very friendly and helpful place to be.
We've all been a "newbie" at one time, so remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.
We have one "rule" here that most of us try to follow: Post Pictures
No pictures..didn't happen
So post pictures of your smokes, we love to see how things turned out.

Have fun, pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy the show.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

KyNola

Trophy205, nice job.  The temp swings are normal.  The heating element is either on or it is off.  Typically it will run the heat up about 10 degrees higher than the set point, go off and let the temp fall to about 10 degrees below the setpoint and start all over again.  As the temp of the meat comes up to temp the swings lessen.

You also might consider putting your temp probe just under the rack holding the meat to get a more accurate reading of the temp at the meat level.  Place the probe so drippings from the meat won't drip on the probe as that will give you a false reading.  I run my probe through the door and close the door on the wire.  The door will seal just fine and if you have to rotate a rack it makes it easier.

Just some info for you to consider.  You need to do what works best for you.

Smoker John

Welcome aboard Trophy 205, glad to hear your first smoke went well, the experimenting & tweaking is half the fun!
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712