Cured beef question

Started by KyNola, December 09, 2012, 07:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I have a piece of an eye of round roast, probably 1.5-2 lbs.  Been thinking about curing it but have never cured a cut of beef like this.  Sam's post of the cured pork shoulder reminded me I wanted to seek the guidance of the folks on the forum about curing beef.

Thinking about curing and then using a pastrami rub on it to smoke it.

Any thoughts, guidance or suggestions would be more than appreciated.

squirtthecat

FLBentRider

If you follow Habs pastrami recipe, it should turn out great.

One of the factors in curing is meat thickness. When I make pastrami out of a cut other than brisket, I just make sure that the thickest portion is no thicker than a typical brisket flat, about 2.5 or three inches. That will ensure that your meat will cure all the way through in the 7 days. If it is too thick you will end up with an uncured "stripe" at the center of the meat. No real harm since I assume you aren't curing for preservation, but presentation wise it is not desirable.

If your eye round is typical of the ones I used to buy at Sams club, you may want to slice in in half lengthwise, so if it is round you will have 2 long "D" shaped pieces.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Thanks for the advice Randy.  I was thinking about curing it much like a Canadian Bacon as I am not looking for a corned beef flavor.  Funny thing is I'm not sure what flavor I'm looking for at all. ;D  Just playing.  May rethink the pastrami rub altogether and use Zach's Brisket Rub.  I don't know.  Like I said, just playing.

Any thoughts about curing like CB and using Zach's?

Tenpoint5

Kynola if you have Ryteks book look at the recipe on page 319 "Peppered Beef Rounds" it says to use top or bottom rounds. If you don't have it let me know and I will type it up for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wildcat

I am looking forward to this.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on December 09, 2012, 07:54:51 AM
Thanks for the advice Randy.  I was thinking about curing it much like a Canadian Bacon as I am not looking for a corned beef flavor.  Funny thing is I'm not sure what flavor I'm looking for at all. ;D  Just playing.  May rethink the pastrami rub altogether and use Zach's Brisket Rub.  I don't know.  Like I said, just playing.

Any thoughts about curing like CB and using Zach's?

With the process being virtually the same, only the flavoring spices are different. I have not cured beef without the pepper and coriander, but I have done CB with just the "base"

I think you will have somewhat of a "corned beef" flavor. I think that the reaction of the cure with the meat results in much of that flavor, much in the same way curing pork tastes (somewhat) like bacon, regardless of what spices you may use.

Then again, I've never cured beef with just the basic cure mix. I would like to say that next time I do pastrami that I could set some beef aside for a test, but I'm afraid there would be a revolt. "what do you mean there will be x lbs LESS Pastrami?"

I am curious to hear your results.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2012, 08:07:49 AM
Kynola if you have Ryteks book look at the recipe on page 319 "Peppered Beef Rounds" it says to use top or bottom rounds. If you don't have it let me know and I will type it up for you.
Chris, I don't have the book but thanks for reminding me about a book I do have. "Cured" by Lindy Wildsmith.  Will check that one for reference and guidance as I am truly winging this experiment. 

Randy, you may be correct about the corned beef flavor.  That's why I was leaning more to the CB type cure but your theory makes perfect sense to me.

Just got the 2 lb piece of beef out of the freezer to thaw.  Will report back as this goes along.

Tenpoint5

here it comes I will type it and post it

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

PEPPERED BEEF ROUNDS

Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 lbs powdered dextrose

Use pieces of top or bottom rounds, about 4-5" thick. Meat is pumped with brine, 10% of the weight of the meat. The meat is then generously rubbed with cracked black pepper and laid down in aging container very tightly, with weighted wooden cover to press meat down. Add just enough brine to cover the meat and let it age for 7 days at 38-40ºF. Meat is removed and placed into a stockinette. Meat also can be laid flat if smokehouse screen is available. The smokehouse should be preheated to 130ºF with dampers wide open, until the surface of the meat is dry. Temperature then is raised to 155ºF with damper 1/4 open. Meat is smoked at this temperature for 4 hours. Smoke then is shut off and the temperature is raised to 210ºF until the internal temperature of the meat is 165ºF. Meat is then placed in cooler for 24 hours before slicing.

This recipe is as written in Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas Copyrite 2007 by The Sausage Maker, Inc.

KyNola

Thanks Chris.  Interesting method.

KyNola

Today I began the curing.  It is a 2 pound eye of round.  I used the dry cure for Canadian Bacon; 1 tbsp MTQ, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder per pound of meat so the measurements are doubled.  I liked the idea of the onion and garlic with the beef.  Vac sealed and into the frig for probably a week.

More to come later.

SamuelG

Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2012, 02:07:42 PM
Today I began the curing.  It is a 2 pound eye of round.  I used the dry cure for Canadian Bacon; 1 tbsp MTQ, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder per pound of meat so the measurements are doubled.  I liked the idea of the onion and garlic with the beef.  Vac sealed and into the frig for probably a week.

More to come later.

Sorry I just saw the post.

I think everyone has given great suggestions.

I have cured pork, lamb and beef having great results.  I tend to prefer the dry cure but both produce great results.

Looking forward to see how it turns out.
SamuelG

SamuelG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2012, 08:39:26 AM
PEPPERED BEEF ROUNDS

Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 lbs powdered dextrose

Use pieces of top or bottom rounds, about 4-5" thick. Meat is pumped with brine, 10% of the weight of the meat. The meat is then generously rubbed with cracked black pepper and laid down in aging container very tightly, with weighted wooden cover to press meat down. Add just enough brine to cover the meat and let it age for 7 days at 38-40ºF. Meat is removed and placed into a stockinette. Meat also can be laid flat if smokehouse screen is available. The smokehouse should be preheated to 130ºF with dampers wide open, until the surface of the meat is dry. Temperature then is raised to 155ºF with damper 1/4 open. Meat is smoked at this temperature for 4 hours. Smoke then is shut off and the temperature is raised to 210ºF until the internal temperature of the meat is 165ºF. Meat is then placed in cooler for 24 hours before slicing.

This recipe is as written in Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas Copyrite 2007 by The Sausage Maker, Inc.

Gracias.
SamuelG

Tenpoint5

Quote from: SamuelG on December 12, 2012, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2012, 08:39:26 AM
PEPPERED BEEF ROUNDS

Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 lbs powdered dextrose

Gracias.

Sam and any others interested in this recipe. I have a call into the sausage maker on this recipe. My question is if this may be a misprint in the book. As the required amount of dextrose for a 25 lb ham is 2/3 cup this recipe is calling for 2 pounds of dextrose for a 10 pound round. My thoughts are that this may be a a typo and it should read 2 cups instead of 2 pounds. Waiting for a response.