Little Jerky help, please

Started by Spenser, April 13, 2006, 07:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spenser

Morning everyone-dumb question that I think I answered on my own.  Tried to take a short cut last weekend making jerky.  Bought some thin steak (bragiole) and used high mountain cure on the steak as slabs.  Then smoked the slab and cut into jerky size after smoked.  Figured that that would make the steak easier to handle on the smoker.  Anyway, didnt work out like previous batches, meat was more tough, and not as tasty. 

Question-was it because I didnt cut into slices before curing and smoking or did I just smoke incorrectly?  Thanks for any input

jaeger

Hi Spenser!
Haven't heard much from you lately. I see you made it to "the other side" though. How do you like the new site. Pretty Cool?
As far as the jerky, you answered your own question. Slice first and then smoke/dry. The pieces will have more smoke and seasoning flavor. Also follow directions on the package and don't use to much. I always tend to go a little bit lighter than the package recommends. I sometimes add a little fresh ground black pepper and some garlic powder to customize the flavor.
There are a lot of methods for making jerky. Since I am the first to respond, here is what I do. ;D
I use high temp with the damper open. At 1 1/2 hour  I rotate racks top to bottom, front to back. I rotate again at about every hour mark,  moving the pieces around and taking some out as they look done. Usually I am finishing the last 1/3 of the batch at about the 4 hour mark from the start. (I start the smoke at the beginning and smoke for at least 2 hours.) Hickory is my first choice for almost any jerky or sausage.
You ought to try chopped and formed jerky sometime. Basically just use 85% lean ground beef and smoke the same. Again, customize the season to your own preference.

Hope to hear from you soon!