• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Garage Setup complete

Started by STLstyle, December 17, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Quote from: devo on December 29, 2012, 06:20:05 AM
Just wondering if anybody has checked with their insurance company about having a outdoor smoker inside a garage? Do you need to add that to your policy?

Devo

I'm in the insurance business and have been for over 30 years. There is nothing in a policy wording on any of the products we have that would exclude it. We have had many home fires where people have their gas bbq's sitting too close to vinyl siding and they light the house up. In fact earlier this year we just had two homes burn to the ground because of this. Turkey fryers are another one. Probably the single most common is oil on the cooktop and unattended candles.

It is always best that you check your policy wording, I know I have done my homework on mine.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

charlesk

got this setup up and running today got to smoke a turkey this weekend
glad to be able to do this inside the garage , two walls insulated so nothing freezes
one big problem I had was the range I think was too small (180 cfm) it didn't want to take all the smoke out
It seems most of the vents are in the 280's . I moved the fan up 1 inch into the cavity and made the hole above the fan aprox. 9x9
I made a shroud to fit over the hole with a 5" outlet and reduced it to a 4" to exit outside (dryer pipe) I put the vent 9" above the smoker and still no luck with all the smoke going up the vent. so I thought the garage is cold and if you light a wood burning fireplace the chimney has to be hot before the draft is good so when I preheated the bradley before I start the smoke I let the fan run and it gets enough just enough heat to start a good draft with out affecting the smoker heat, and bingo the vent catches it all. BUT I would say that 180 cfm seems to me to be to small.
Any info on what cfm's are running out there may be helpfull if I run acrossa used one at a garage sale

But in all thanks for the ideas, it works, did a test run of smoking for one hour and Wife is happy ;D

Thanks for the info on posting would never had figured that one out :o

4 Rack DBS, dual element mod, Auber single probe PID, Maverick temp probe

Habanero Smoker

You need to upload your pictures to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. It is free up to a certain amount of storage, but you have to put up with advertisements as you navigate around the site.

Photobucket keeps revising their site, but the below tutorial will help you get up and going. If you are using Photobucket, and if they give you the option choose "Switch to Older Version". I find the older version is much easier to use if you are posting to forums.
How To Post Pictures

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

You really dont need the hood. Not if your chimney s drawing right. I simply buy a PVC toilet mount and turn up side down. It will set on the vent and catch all the smoke. Thats the way mine is. And never have smoke. Also the garage is unheated also.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

charlesk

viper
I guess the trick would be, is to get the right height to get a good draw
How high did you run the pipe and where does it exit, did you go through the ceiling or wall, has it any bends
and do you have a flap on the end of the pipe. I just assumed something like that would not draw for me becuase I put a dryer flap on the end of my pipe I just assumed the flap would stop the draw.  interesting
4 Rack DBS, dual element mod, Auber single probe PID, Maverick temp probe

viper125

Mine is a simple pipe through the roof. Just cut a hole and add a flange. I made mine a straight shot. And put a tee pee cover on top that stands above the pipe and dont block the smoke. Works great. Except for one thing. I have to open the door once in a while just to smell and believe its running. LOL!
Inside setup.

Grassman

I used the PVC pipe also with the flange - they sell an end cap that has little louvers that don't need to have pressure to open like a dyer vent. Works great - no smoke in my shed and I can smoke in all weather - Plus your unit and electronics are protected.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

buttburner

I just open my front and back garage doors and let er rip

it has good airflow

viper125

I do it with every thing closed. Usually working in side on boat or some project. No smoke at all. But i do open ocassionaly checking. Which is not really needed. But i love the smell. To get a good draft make sure your pipe is above highest point of roof in 10 ft area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Inside setup.