Hab's ham

Started by car54, December 03, 2012, 09:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I plan on doing a bone in fresh ham shank 1/2 per Hab's recipe.
Any comments , updates or suggestions?
Thanks Hab's for the recipe!

Brad

Habanero Smoker

Brad;

You are welcome.

If you are using the recipe download, the changes on the Recipe Site will not be in the copy on your computer. I have reduced the salt, but forgot to change the soaking time. I lowered my soaking time to 1 hour, I'll make that change after I log off. These changes I feel gave the ham a better flavor, but the old recipe was also good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Habs,
If you can relay me that information it would be appreciate. I will be starting the process on Saturday and I might as well make it as good as possible .

Thanks much, Brad

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: car54 on December 04, 2012, 11:05:16 AM
Habs,
If you can relay me that information it would be appreciate. I will be starting the process on Saturday and I might as well make it as good as possible .

Thanks much, Brad

Just to make sure I'm providing the information you are looking for. Are you looking for my updated recipe, if so; I went on the recipe site and made those changes Smoked Cured Ham. Or do you want the original recipe Home Cured Smoked Ham. If you use the original recipe, you don't have to bring the internal temperature to 152°F, the new regulation is 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

Habs,

On your December 03, 2012, 04:03:34 pm post to this topic you mentioned reduced salt. That is where I am confused.
Is this change in the recipe site, if it is I am ready to go. I knew that you would probably be making a cured ham more then once and recipes do change as you get more experience. That is why I asked if there were any updates.

Again if the recipe site is the latest, I am ready to go. Your directions are clear which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

Habanero Smoker

Yes! The recipe site has the latest revision.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

car54

Habs,
One more question. I have an 9 lbs dressed ham, I will air dry it in the smoker for 8 hours, smoke it for 4 hours and bring it up to 145 degrees at 210 degrees. How long would you guess this last step would take?
I am running into some time issues and an guess would be helpful.

Thanks, Brad

Habanero Smoker

I fairly bad at times, and don't record them; and I should start logging times.

It shouldn't take long, because you are air drying at around 110°F for 8 hours, then smoking for 4 hours at 140°F. So generally my hams are around 120°F after smoking stage. A rough guesstimate would be 30 minutes per pound; after the smoke has been applied.

If you are running short of time, you can transfer the ham to a 300°F preheated oven and finish by roasting to 140°F, the carryover during rest will bring it up to 145°F. You may want to cover it with foil while it is in the oven. It will reheat just like any precooked cured ham.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Have used Habs recipe quite a few times and always good, But the times seem to vary with the meat and the size. Guess like every thing else its done when its done. ;D
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

What Viper stated is true, it will vary.

Another thought, if you are running out of time. When the ham hits 140°F, you can take it out of the smoker, and if you FTC at this point the carryover should bring the ham up to at least 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.