Saugage flavor question

Started by KDX, December 18, 2012, 10:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDX

Dumb question but here goes.....I was looking at the Hi Mountain and Hi-Country brands of sausage kits (first time making some) and was wondering exactly what German Sausage and Bratwurst (Hi Mountain) taste like as well as Country Blend and German Blend (Hi-Country). Are the Polish blends good? Initially I will just be making cold smoked fresh sausage (3-4 pound batches) until I get a few done for practice and get a decent thermometer, then I want to make smokie style sausages. Is one of these companies offerings better than the other? I will probably start with a 50/50 pork and beef mixture. Thanks in advance.

CoreyMac

Thats a tough question to answer, like asking someone to discribe a color without actually saying the color in the discription ;).

The only way to really know is to try a small batch and go from there. Thats how I build up recipes, some work and some don't. It a personal preference. Just don't make too much at a time in case you don't really like it.

Corey

Tenpoint5

Quote from: CoreyMac on December 19, 2012, 07:40:45 AM
Thats a tough question to answer, like asking someone to discribe a color without actually saying the color in the discription ;).

The only way to really know is to try a small batch and go from there. Thats how I build up recipes, some work and some don't. It a personal preference. Just don't make too much at a time in case you don't really like it.
Corey

That's what the guys at work are for!! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KDX on December 18, 2012, 10:14:34 PM
Dumb question but here goes.....I was looking at the Hi Mountain and Hi-Country brands of sausage kits (first time making some) and was wondering exactly what German Sausage and Bratwurst (Hi Mountain) taste like as well as Country Blend and German Blend (Hi-Country). Are the Polish blends good? Initially I will just be making cold smoked fresh sausage (3-4 pound batches) until I get a few done for practice and get a decent thermometer, then I want to make smokie style sausages. Is one of these companies offerings better than the other? I will probably start with a 50/50 pork and beef mixture. Thanks in advance.

Hi Country is way better than HM which sux

KDX

Thanks for the replys. I will buy the Hi Country mix.

dbondy

Nepas is the man and will know whats better. I only have accses to the HM kits where im at and the polish sausage kit works well for me when I use them but I also adjust them to my owm taste. I like to use them with a 50 -50  blend of poke butt and deer and go from there. But my fav is from the sausage maker with a little added spices for my taste and is cheaper to make even with the shipping to make with great resalts. The lem kits are also great but there shiping takes awhile to get to canada.

viper125

Store bought is good. But homemade and you can tweak and make it yours. Then you have a go to.  Another thing the way old buisnesses go belly up you wont have to try again. Im developing a list of favorite and going back to experiment means that many left un tried. Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.