• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hey! I got a box too, and my first sausage!

Started by PapaC, December 22, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaC

This was on my doorstep friday when I got home!

Couldn't wait, so I went to Costco and bought this....a 15.5lb boneless pork shoulder roast.

Here it is in action. Other than being a little loud, I was very happy with it. Ground up the entire roast and saved out all but 3lbs which I used to make breakfast sausage for Christmas morning when we have our kids, grandkids, and some friends over for breakfast. I'll use the rest when I get a stuffer, which hopefully won't be too long from now.

I used Hi Mountains country Maple blend pre-mixed, but since I just can't seem to leave well enough alone, I added a little Sage, and some Garlic.

Here's the test paty frying up. Not bad, it had enough maple, but just didn't seem to have enough seasoning "kick". It was already bagged and in the freezer, so when I pull it out after thawing I'll probably add some additional seasoning. I'm open to suggestions on that, but I'm thinking some combination of salt, ginger, thyme, nutmeg etc, maybe a little black pepper (can't make it too hot for this group though). Those seem to be common in the recipes I've looked up. I have to be careful, I don't want to ruin it so if you think I should leave it alone let me know. I don't want to just add more of the pre-mix, cause I don't want any more maple than it already has. Lot of fun for sure and it was grerat to take the first step in my sausage journey!
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

beefmann

congrats on the new toy, and seasonings, good luck on sausage making

Bear1968

Nice!  :)

I keep checking my doorstep but all that is ever there is very needy Border Collie :(
UBC Local 268

Keymaster

Looks like fun,You cant beat those costco boneless pork shouders for sausage makin. If you need to borrow my 5# Lem stuffer just let me know.

NePaSmoKer

Nice

Soon you will be cranking out some good sausages.

PapaC

Quote from: Keymaster on December 22, 2012, 05:25:57 PM
Looks like fun,You cant beat those costco boneless pork shouders for sausage makin. If you need to borrow my 5# Lem stuffer just let me know.

Thanks Aaron, really generous of you to offer but......... ;D ;D my lovely, gracious wife just now told me to order one for her Christmas present to me!!! Woo Hoo! Gotta run, I've got a stuffer to order! Stay tuned!

OU812

Niiiiiice!

That grinder will give ya years of enjoyment

I would agree with you to get more flavor add more ginger, thyme, nutmeg a little black pepper and some paprika

Just to give ya an idea heres what I make from scratch;

My kinda breakfast sausage

5 lb gronnd pork butt
1 Tbl+2 tsp pickiling salt
1 1/2 tsp couarse ground (Tellicherry) black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground (Indonesia)white peppeer
1 Tbl rubbed sage
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground Thyme
1 1/2 tsp Smoked Spanish Paprika
6 oz distilled water
If you want to kick it up a bit add; 1 Tbl crushed red pepper and 1 tea cayanne,,,,Oh Ya!
Enjoy
    Curt

PapaC

Thanks Curt, I'll do just that. Question; should I re-grind after adding additional seasoning, or just mix it in, let it sit in refer overnight and serve?

Kevin A

Looks great, PapaC! New toys make the job a whole lot more fun! :)

Home-made breakfast sausage is wonderful—and considerably better than much of that greasy stuff sold in stores.
And you can adjust it to your family's tastes.

One note: I love sage—but do be mindful of the amounts used—sage is one of those herbs that when too much is added, it can really overpower (i.e. 'ruin') a good sausage batch.

Good luck & have fun!

Kevin

Sailor

Quote from: PapaC on December 22, 2012, 08:15:14 PM
Thanks Curt, I'll do just that. Question; should I re-grind after adding additional seasoning, or just mix it in, let it sit in refer overnight and serve?
Some guys mix the dry ingredients in with the grind.  Personally I prefer to add my ingredients in to my water and stir up real good and then add it to the meat.  I think you get a better blend and mix doing it that way.  Also when you start adding cure #1 that is the 1st thing I add to the water to dissolve.  After a few batches I am sure you will develop your own style.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

Quote from: Sailor on December 23, 2012, 04:39:40 AM
Quote from: PapaC on December 22, 2012, 08:15:14 PM
Some guys mix the dry ingredients in with the grind.  Personally I prefer to add my ingredients in to my water and stir up real good and then add it to the meat.  I think you get a better blend and mix doing it that way.  Also when you start adding cure #1 that is the 1st thing I add to the water to dissolve.  After a few batches I am sure you will develop your own style.

What Jim said

classicrockgriller

Congrates on the grinder.

Love to make my own breakfast sausage and fresh ground beef.

Then I know what is in it.

PapaC

Christmas morning update:
    Thawed out the bag of sausage. Added the following mixed with three Tbls of water-
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2tsp tyme
Pinch of ground black pepper

This really woke it up and made all the difference in the world. Everyone loved it. The Maple flavor is a little sweet for my liking though, and I probably won't use it again. I think I've accumulated enough spices to make some up from scratch next time. Still very happy my first run was a success! Thanks for the help and advise.

Carl

SiFumar

Glad to hear it worked out for you!  Home made sausage is the best!

hybridcx

looks good! i am looking forward to trying my hand at sausage this weekend. yours sounds tasty