• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another newbie... burnt my Elk to a crisp! Help!

Started by Kimmie04, December 29, 2012, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimmie04

I just received the Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker for Christmas and my first attempt at Elk jerky was a fail. I've never had Elk before and someone gave me a roast so I thought I would try it as jerky.  I cut the Elk into strips, did a marinade in the fridge overnight and smoked it today for about 8 hours.  I feel the marinade was fine (OJ, garlic, soy sauce ect.) but it smells like a campfire, way to smoky for me - the jerky was tough, hard and almost looked burnt.  I think I went through 8 chips and had water in the bowl at the bottom. I turned it a few times and the meat in the back seemed more cooked than the rest.   Any recipes or tips for any type of jerky would be great.  I have a turkey that I would like to cut up and try but was hoping for some help with it first.  Thanks!!   :D
Kim & Jim

SiFumar

Hi welcome to the forum.  What temp did you dry it at?  What type of wood puck?  Some woods are stronger than others and you might have only needed 3-5.  Its always best to start with less until you see what flavor profile you like.

KyNola

Quote from: Kimmie04 on December 29, 2012, 04:52:27 PM
I turned it a few times and the meat in the back seemed more cooked than the rest.   Any recipes or tips for any type of jerky would be great.  I have a turkey that I would like to cut up and try but was hoping for some help with it first.  Thanks!!   :D
When you say you turned it a few times, did you mean you just turned the meat over?  If so, the reason the meat in the back seemed more cooked is because the heat rises up the back of the tower because that is where the heat element is located.  You should rotate the racks top to botton and turn them front to back about every hour.

Ketch22

MRH

When I have made jerky I usually run the temp around 175 degrees. Rotate racks and start removing pieces as they seem done.  I usually remove them a little before they are feeling like they are jerky.... They still have a little spring to them went you press on them.  I like them a bit less dried, more chewy.  This was with sliced meat and not ground.

Mark

viper125

Most dehydrates run 140-150. I normally run my smoker for jerky at 160 till meats 140 or better. Then drop to 150 till done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

drunknimortal

Wazzulu

How long did you run the smoke?  The campfire could come from running it for too long.