Rib Temps

Started by rhodhse, April 26, 2006, 05:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhodhse

I am new to the forum and I have searched thru the posts.  I have had a Bradley for a couple of years.  I purchased a Maverick and I have used it periodically.  I am looking for some specifics on proper rib temp when done and proper placement of the smoker probe to monitor smoker temp.  I would like to get those falling off the bone baby backs.......My ribs normally seem a little tough.

winemakers

I did 6 racks last week for friends and had the same probe placement problem.  (sounds like something I should talk to my wife about).  My final solution was to rotate the racks, both shuffle vertically, and rotate horizontally every 1.5 hours and use the 'twist the bone' thermometer.  Long thin sections were done to sweet rib goodness up to an hour before the thicker chewier morsels.  I know, I know, opening the door that often has adverse side effects, but the beer was flowing and the results were stellar. 

For anyone in the Syracuse, NY area, Dinosaur Barbeque makes some fantastic sauces!  We're in Ohio, but our guests passed through Syracuse and provided these amazingly good compliments to the meat.  As much as I enjoy making 'my own secret recipe' sauce, with condiments this good on the market it may not be worth the time.

mld

iceman

Twist / pull the bone is the best way to check um (besides nawing on one). :P
Quote from: winemakers on April 27, 2006, 03:58:56 AM
'twist the bone' thermometer.  mld

rhodhse

Thanks I appreciate the tips.  I have tried to use the meat temp. and it doesn't seem to work.  Not much meat to probe on baby backs.....I have read so many differences in cooking time, and in "smoke and spice" most receipes for baby backs call for 3 hours.....doesn't seem long enough????Do practioners recommend rotating half way through,...say two hours and then bone twist checking around 4 hours, no mop??

Ed