Lake Huron Whitefish

Started by Smokeville, January 10, 2013, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi all;

Couldn't resist posting this photo. Lake Whitefish has been scarce since last June because the Great Lakes have been so warm the fish went too deep to catch. Finally I managed to get some from my supplier that had been netted and filleted that morning. Bought 20 pounds of it and it was simply the best looking Whitefish I've ever seen.

The taste was even better! I'm partial to Whitefish but I gotta say this catch was fantastic!

I used Kummok's salmon brine without the soy sauce or pepper flakes. Lots of garlic. Overnight soak and then dried for 2 hours with a fan. Smoked 6 hours with Oak --- 2.5 hours at 125F, then 2 hours at 145F, and finished at 180F for almost 4 hours. Whitefish tends to have a lot of moisture and takes a while to settle down.

Regards, Rich

iceman

Man, I can almost taste that Smokeville! I'm hungry just looking at that. Good job.  :)

Tenpoint5

I'm not a great fan of fish but that even makes me want a little chunk off the tail end!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!