First Chicken Smoke

Started by DaveT261, January 06, 2013, 05:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveT261

I am try the Jimmy Kimmel chicken wing recipe.  This will be my first chicken on the Bradley and I was wondering how long should I smoke them.  I know on my offset you can oversmoke chicken and they end up tasting like wood.  Any suggestions?

thanks a lot

DaveT261

Keymaster

Heres a recipe and times and temps for wangs on the Bradley smoker Website

Edit: Actually here is the Jimmy Kimmel recipe for the Bradley smoker

DaveT261

I am having trouble getting the temp to 220, I cant seem to get up past 180 so I think I am going to have to bring them in and finish them off in the oven when they are done smoking.  I's 35 degrees and there is no wind here to speak of but just cant reach temps. 

Keymaster

Are you on a dedicated circuit with nothing else running off that breaker. Make sure your vent is atleast half way open to let the moisture out. Only use a heavy duty extension cord and the shorter the better. With that said your bradley should reach it temp you desire. Some people wrap the smoker wth a blanket and bungee or put a couple hot bricks in the bottom for quicker recovery when opening the door. Good luck,

DaveT261

I was on a dedicated circuit and I was using a 14 gauge extension cord, although the cord was 50'  If I need a shorter one I will make one at work.  We get a lot of cut cords from jobsites, maybe that will help.

mow_delon

Get rid of extension cord completely, if possible.  It will make a difference.

DaveT261

The cord is so short on the Bradley.  I don't have any outlets that close to the ground outside.  This spring I guess I will have to run a new line for it.  I did let it warm up before I put the chicken in, it was 220 degrees but dropped like a rock when I put 2 racks of wings in and I did let them set out for an hour before putting them in.  The wings did turn out great but I had to finish them in the oven, to be honest I think they were the best tasting wings I ever made, just the right amount of smoke.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DaveT261 on January 06, 2013, 05:44:52 AM
I am try the Jimmy Kimmel chicken wing recipe.  This will be my first chicken on the Bradley and I was wondering how long should I smoke them.  I know on my offset you can oversmoke chicken and they end up tasting like wood.  Any suggestions?

thanks a lot

Hi Dave;

I generally apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke. The amount of smoke is listed in step #3. I prefer either apple, maple or pecan smoke. If you are using frozen wings, make sure you pat them dry. If I have time I will also air dry them in the refrigerator, or at least a couple of hours on the counter top prior to smoking/cooking. I'll be updating this recipe in the near future.
Jimmy Kimmel Smoked Buffalo Wings

What was your vent setting? When I first did these wings, I discovered that moisture build up to a level of condensation in the smoker keeps the temperature down. I should have know that prior to this discovery, since I had been using a vertical water smoker for many years.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DaveT261

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 07, 2013, 02:19:33 AM
Quote from: DaveT261 on January 06, 2013, 05:44:52 AM

thanks a lot

Hi Dave;

I generally apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke. The amount of smoke is listed in step #3. I prefer either apple, maple or pecan smoke. If you are using frozen
wings, make sure you pat them dry. If I have time I will also air dry them in the refrigerator, or at least a couple of hours on the counter top prior to smoking/cooking. I'll be updating this recipe in the near future.
Jimmy Kimmel Smoked Buffalo Wings

What was your vent setting? When I first did these wings, I discovered that moisture build up to a level of condensation in the smoker keeps the temperature down. I should have know that prior to this discovery, since I had been using a vertical water smoker for many years.  :)

I had my vent wide open.  I did 1 hr and 40 min on the smoke.  Actually I was happy with the results considering its wintertime.  Next time I will let set out for 2 hours instead of 1 hour in the winter.  I don't want to let them sit out any longer.

I do want to thank you for all your advice.