Smoked cheese question

Started by devo, January 12, 2013, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

So we smoke the cheese and we all know it tastes like a ashtray if you eat it to soon.
So now we let it rest on the counter for a few hours so the moisture drys up and we are not vac sealing water in there.
So now we vac seal and throw into the back of the fridge for at least 4 weeks till the smoke taste has mellowed. Right so far?
So here is my question if I just vac sealed them suckers and its air tight where to heck does that strong smoke taste go?

KyNola

My theory is that the smoke is allowed to permeate throughout the piece of cheese rather than to remain on the surface of the cheese.

I have no idea that my theory is remotely close to being correct but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it. ;D

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on January 12, 2013, 07:57:29 AM
My theory is that the smoke is allowed to permeate throughout the piece of cheese rather than to remain on the surface of the cheese.

I have no idea that my theory is remotely close to being correct but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it. ;D

What Larry said

Salmonsmoker

Here's another guess to add to the other guesses. ::) Along with the smoke flavor components distributing evenly  through the cheese, they are also breaking down into other less harsh components. I compare it to hop bitterness, hop flavor and hop aroma in beer. They all gradually break down with the aroma components diminishing first (most volatile) then the flavor and then the bitterness. Then the beer is past prime. The beer is in a sealed environment.  Also, re: vac seal bags....they are not absolute air or water proof. They have a perm rating, most usually, the thicker the material(mils), the lower the perm rating and hence most "waterproof and air tight". Those who live in freezing climates-many years ago the standard vapor barrier for a house was 2 mil polyethylene. The finding was that too much vapor was getting through, and into the insulation where it froze and caused rot and other problems inside the walls when the frozen insulation melted in the spring. Vapor barrier standard was changed to 6 mil, with it's much lower perm rating.
My two sheckles worth. 
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

devo

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on January 12, 2013, 09:33:35 AM
Here's another guess to add to the other guesses. ::) Along with the smoke flavor components distributing evenly  through the cheese, they are also breaking down into other less harsh components. I compare it to hop bitterness, hop flavor and hop aroma in beer. They all gradually break down with the aroma components diminishing first (most volatile) then the flavor and then the bitterness. Then the beer is past prime. The beer is in a sealed environment.  Also, re: vac seal bags....they are not absolute air or water proof. They have a perm rating, most usually, the thicker the material(mils), the lower the perm rating and hence most "waterproof and air tight". Those who live in freezing climates-many years ago the standard vapor barrier for a house was 2 mil polyethylene. The finding was that too much vapor was getting through, and into the insulation where it froze and caused rot and other problems inside the walls when the frozen insulation melted in the spring. Vapor barrier standard was changed to 6 mil, with it's much lower perm rating.
My two sheckles worth.

Ahhh now your talking my kind of  language, BEER yes now I get it

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: devo on January 12, 2013, 11:50:44 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on January 12, 2013, 09:33:35 AM
My two sheckles worth.

Ahhh now your talking my kind of  language, BEER yes now I get it

Somehow I just knew that was the way to pierce void, Devo. ;D ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.