Rib Question

Started by Rib Fan, April 18, 2006, 07:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

IVE never done it that way.I always have rub the night before wrap up and in the fridge.Dosent that make the meat get more flavor due to the fact its absorbed more in time.Just putting the rub on dosnt seem like its going to fully absorb into the meat by the time its done.I take the ribs out of the fridge and let them get to room temps and then stick them in.I never had a not to smokie taste they have always come out nice.I guess once again its to your personal taste buds here.Just my 2 cents worth. ;D

IKnowWood

And this is why ribs are one of the most complex thing to cook..

Its mostly up to personal taste, temperature, and texture.  We all do it a little different, but in the end, most all of us like what we end up with.

If you don't keep reading, eventually you will find some method, rub, sauce, soak, spritz, marinade that will work with your approach.

Just one thing you have to consider, do not let this complexity stop you from trying it.  You will surely be missing some "Good Eats"
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Quote from: icerat4 on April 21, 2006, 11:07:34 AM
IVE never done it that way.I always have rub the night before wrap up and in the fridge.Dosent that make the meat get more flavor due to the fact its absorbed more in time.Just putting the rub on dosnt seem like its going to fully absorb into the meat by the time its done.I take the ribs out of the fridge and let them get to room temps and then stick them in.I never had a not to smokie taste they have always come out nice.I guess once again its to your personal taste buds here.Just my 2 cents worth. ;D
Hiya rat. I was reffering more to the larger cuts of meat on the drying part. FYI by rubbing the night before you actually get a little more weight loss(moisture) as opposed to rubbing an hour or so before smoking. The loss is very minimal but none the less there. That wet look you see is moisture drawn out of the ribs from the salt in the rub. Some of the moisture does get back into the ribs but not all. Like I said it's so small it's no big deal.

Rib Fan

Awwwww  the learning curve is steep.....but worth every step.   Making a batch of ribs this weekend (tomorrow) and trying the burbon glazed rib recipe from Smoke and Spice.   Ribs are currently in refrigerator, in zip-lock freezer bags, absorbing the rub that was applyed a few hours ago.
Here is another question:  Typically most have stated that they smoke the ribs for up to 4 hrs then foil for a couple hours in the BS then let it rest before consuming.  Here is the question:  Can I skip the foil thing at the 4 hr mark if I apply a mop at say 3 hrs in, i.e. will this "seal" the moisture in the ribs thus preventing the dreaded dry rib senario?  Maybe applying another mop at say 5 hrs?  Another senario might be to pull out ribs at 4 hr and grill applying mop till done?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a handle on this without having to throw 10 pounds of ribs in the garbage.
I really appreciate all the advice that has been offered.

RF

iceman

It's all a matter of taste Rib Fan. I usually cut the smoke at 3 to 4 hours and wrap them in foil after I spritz them with a bit of apple juice then return them to the smoker for a couple of hours then turn the heat off and let them just sit there for another couple hours. They turn out falling off the bone type of done that way. On the other hand Ann likes hers a little chewier so I skip the foil part and mop hers for two hours after the initial smoke time for a total of 6 hours. Then I slather some sauce on and toss hers on the grill for a few minutes. You can see there are no rules (except to have fun). Just do what seems right at the time and enjoy. ;)
Smoke 4hrs. Wrap in foil and keep cooking 2hrs. Turn heat off and let sit for 1 to 2 hrs. or FTC for 2 hrs.or
Smoke 4hrs. Mop then cook 2 hrs. Let sit in smoker heat off for 1 hr. then grill or just eat them.
These are just 2 ways I do them. I've lost track of the options I've tried over the years. I'm sure these guys on the forum have plenty more input for you to look at. Have a great weekend.