What temperature is it?

Started by car54, April 26, 2006, 02:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I have 4 different thermometers for my smoker and not one of them reads the same in the smoker even though in boiling water the are very close. I just would like to know what is correct. I remembered in my car racing days that there was a temperature sensing paint for brake rotors that would change colors at a specified temperature. I did an internet search and found this site. www.bjwe.com/tempil/0tempil.htm  They have paint, crayons and stickers that will change colors at a certain temperature with an accuracy of + or - 1 percent.

Brad

iceman

I've played with the temp sticks before with fairly good accuracy.
If your really bored go get about six different temp range sticks. Say 100, 120, 160, 180, 200, 220 and make marks with each one on a metal flat bar next to each other. Put the bar on the center rack and put you thermometer leads close to it then crank on the heat. As the highest reading lead gets close to the first temp see if the mark changed color. If not check a few minutes later. Whichever ones read closet to the temp mark as it changes color are going to be you most accurate ones.
Like I said you need lots of beer and time for that test.
You could also just put a plate on the middle rack and put the leads close to it and shoot the plate with an infrared gun to compare temps to the lead temps.
I use fluke meters to read my temps and just send them in for calibration once a year.
I tell ya car54 it's hard to get to this perfection thing sometimes.
The ice bath and boiling water thing is great IF you can adjust the thermometer.
Most digitals I've seen are fixed and you have to remember the differentials. Bummer.
Have fun there and don't rack to many brain cells up.