Fat cap up or down

Started by Rad Rich, January 12, 2013, 03:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey guys,
Dumb old question smoking a butt in the am fat cap up or down. I have gone up on the past I have a friend that says I should go cap down as it will kind of seal the bottom of the butt and keep juices in. What do you guys think?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

beefmann

fat up... aids in adding  juices into the meat

GusRobin

Quote from: Rad Rich on January 12, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
Hey guys,
Dumb old question smoking a butt in the am fat cap up or down. I have gone up on the past I have a friend that says I should go cap down as it will kind of seal the bottom of the butt and keep juices in. What do you guys think?

Yes
By that I mean if you ask 100 people you will get 50 say up and 50 say down. I recommend you pick one way and take notes and then next time do the other way and see want is good for you
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pokermeister

I cut the fat cap off, yesterday the cap was almost 1/2 in thick in places (in smoker now). I have taken the cap off before and not noticed a difference in "juicyness" of the pork shoulder. Just my 2 cents. :D
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Keymaster

I lean my fat cap to the left because the world spins to the right thus causing the fat cap to juicify the meat through inertia :o But I really do fat cap up :)

OU812

On a pork butt I remove all the fat cap,,,,theres plenty marbling in there to keep it moist

With no fat cap I keep all the bark

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Fatcap up but cut with a crisscross pattern
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rad Rich

I did what I normally do cap up and nice deep cross cross cuts. I forgot how to add pictures. Gonna start around 1:00 am outside in north west Indiana. We are supposed to get snow or freezing rain. Yikes. I have a small suncast cabinet with a steel chimney just a little bigger than the smoker. I love it had the Bradley in there for the last two years. Always get nice high temps.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

TMB

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 12, 2013, 06:07:19 PM
Fatcap up but cut with a crisscross pattern
I do the same thing.  Tenpoint5 told me about this a while ago and have been doing ever since.

I have 72 butts cook in infrared and 5 low and slow in my OBS, all but two of them have been cross cut.

Works great and if your using an infrared cooker helps out that much more.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TedEbear

Quote from: Rad Rich on January 12, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
Hey guys,
Dumb old question smoking a butt in the am fat cap up or down.

I just smoked one earlier today.  My method is to cut off the fat cap prior to smoking.  It's less junk that I have to pick out and remove after I shred it.