venting question

Started by jwilson, January 30, 2013, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilson

Perusing thru all of the questions and answers given on this forum (great by the way)....those of you who put the OBS in your garage seem to always rig up some venting to the outside.  The OBS is my 2nd electric smoker and I haven't used it yet but I've been using my other electric smoker in the garage for a couple of years now and I just let it vent into the garage - door is cracked open so I don't get alot of smoke hanging around in there...all I get is the great smell of smoking meat.  Am I missing something?

buttburner

Quote from: jwilson on January 30, 2013, 10:49:57 AM
Perusing thru all of the questions and answers given on this forum (great by the way)....those of you who put the OBS in your garage seem to always rig up some venting to the outside.  The OBS is my 2nd electric smoker and I haven't used it yet but I've been using my other electric smoker in the garage for a couple of years now and I just let it vent into the garage - door is cracked open so I don't get alot of smoke hanging around in there...all I get is the great smell of smoking meat.  Am I missing something?

thats all I have ever done. I open the back garage door and the big door

I dont see any reason to cut holes in my garage for a vent.

BAM1

I vented mine.  The whole reason for me smoking in the garage is to stay out of the cold so I don't want my doors open.  Plus, my farage is heated and I don't want to let the heat out.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

OU812

Quote from: BAM1 on January 30, 2013, 11:30:39 AM
I vented mine.  The whole reason for me smoking in the garage is to stay out of the cold so I don't want my doors open.  Plus, my farage is heated and I don't want to let the heat out.

Ditto

jwilson

Well, a heated garage is a good reason...otherwise, I don't think it's worth the effort.

BAM1

I don't know what neck of the woods you folks live in but here in Iowa we got 7" of snow last night and it's now 15 degrees with a 28 mile an hour wind.  Even if my garage wasn't heated I wouldn't want two doors open with snow blowing through while I ran a 6 hour Jerky run in my smoker this morning.  Here is what my set up looks like.

Makin Bacon at -2 a couple of weeks ago.

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

buttburner

Quote from: BAM1 on January 30, 2013, 01:27:18 PM
I don't know what neck of the woods you folks live in but here in Iowa we got 7" of snow last night and it's now 15 degrees with a 28 mile an hour wind.  Even if my garage wasn't heated I wouldn't want two doors open with snow blowing through while I ran a 6 hour Jerky run in my smoker this morning.  Here is what my set up looks like.

Makin Bacon at -2 a couple of weeks ago.

I live in Michigan

We get plenty of snow

I have a shovel. If its 10 degrees with the wind blowing though my garage then its 10 degrees with the wind blowing though my garage. I would just crack the back door open a bit to allow the breeze to blow the smoke out the other door

life goes on. So does the smoking

Mr Walleye

Yup! Me too.  ;)

In fact it's -40 right at the moment and we have probably 3 feet of snow in the yard. I;m a tough Canuck... but not that tough to be smoking outdoors at these temps.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BAM1

Hope you're keeping warm up there Mike.  I don't envy the -40 but it's probably a pretty good trade off for the amesome fishing you have.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Mr Walleye

Quote from: BAM1 on January 30, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
Hope you're keeping warm up there Mike.  I don't envy the -40 but it's probably a pretty good trade off for the amesome fishing you have.

BAM1

We do have really good fishing.  ;)

This morning we have what they call "Extreme Windchill". It's -48 C which translates to -54.4 F. Nothing works very well at these temperatures, including me!  ;D

Ya might say it's a tad chilly out there.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Little Bear Game Farm

Wow, and that probably isn't even a record!  Think I'll take the -15F windchills we have this morning.  You would probably be wearing shorts  8)

buttburner

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 30, 2013, 04:04:05 PM

Yup! Me too.  ;)

In fact it's -40 right at the moment and we have probably 3 feet of snow in the yard. I;m a tough Canuck... but not that tough to be smoking outdoors at these temps.  ;D

Mike

hey you are 20 degrees warmer that at my cabin in Northern Mich this morning must be a heat wave for you lol