cornmed beef

Started by Piker, January 17, 2013, 04:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

I want to make some corned beef out of some brisket I have. The recipes I have found call for either Cure #2 or #1. I would think #1 is the one to use but they call for about 5 tps. per gallon of water. This seems high to me. Can someone help me out because I would actually prefer a dry rub if that is possible. Thks Piker

KyNola

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?157-Beef-Pastrami

Check the above recipe.  The first half of the recipe is corning the brisket.  It is excellent.  There is both a brine and dry rub option for corning the beef. If you don't want pastrami, just do the first part of the recipe and you will have corned beef.

Piker

I have that same recipe and had great results with pastrami. So if I use the updated dry ingrediants and rub them and let it cure it will then be corned brisket?

KyNola

That's my understanding.  I'll yield to the more learned members to correct me if I'm wrong.

Piker

thanks a lot. If I remember right that is what H.B. posted some time ago so I am going to try that. OPiker

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Piker on January 17, 2013, 04:17:58 AM
I want to make some corned beef out of some brisket I have. The recipes I have found call for either Cure #2 or #1. I would think #1 is the one to use but they call for about 5 tps. per gallon of water. This seems high to me. Can someone help me out because I would actually prefer a dry rub if that is possible. Thks Piker

Yes! The first step in making pastrami, is to make (or purchase) corned beef. So the first part of my recipe is creating corned beef.

Actually 5 teaspoons per gallon of water is low. I haven't calculated the ppm of sodium nitrite, but it may give you some color; I'm not sure if there is enough for protection; though most recipes call for cooking corned beef at high temperatures, so that amount would not be a problem. For wet brines I generally will add 1.5 (~8 tsp.) - 3.2 ounces of cure #1 per gallon of water, depending on how much color and what I want in the final taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

thanks for the replies but since I have never had good luck with any brining I went with a dry rub according to H.B. recipe for pastrami. I have made lots of pastrami and it has been great so I am sure the corned brisket will be too. Pics to follow after curing period. Thks Piker

Piker

here is a pic of the finished product

Tenpoint5

That has a nice color to it Piker
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!