When to slice bacon

Started by Geoff_S, February 04, 2013, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_S

First I think I have to define what I mean by bacon because I've read that it's different in some places. This is the type where I take a back or belly, rub in salt cure and turn for eight days or so, then rinse
and have the "bacon".

I have made some of this, and it's gone down a treat, but I got to thinking back to the olden days. I seem to remember the delicatessen (was it called that back then?) and there would be a big lump of bacon on the slicer
waiting to be sliced. This suggests to me that there was perhaps a period of time that the lump of bacon would be allowed to dry before it was sliced.

Is it a good idea to let the lump dry a bit before slicing? The reason I ask is that I have invested in a 10" Buffalo slicer which is great, but presents a challenge with a floppy lump of belly!

Also, is there an optimum thickness to slice?

devo

When ever I do bacon I hot smoke mine. That being said I will give a day in the fridge before slicing. Now I have gone three days before slicing only because I did not have the time to slice and vac seal. I was thinking on this last smoke of belly bacon I was going to leave it whole and freeze it till i really needed it. To me it really don't matter when you slice it after at least one day of rest time.

I like thick bacon slice's about 1/8" thick. Thinner if I am making ABT,s with it.

Geoff_S

Thanks Devo, it's interesting that you leave it for a day. I've smoked it and also done a sweet cure, but haven't left it for a day. I'm thinking I might try this idea.

But you hot smoke it first? That's what we would call ham here. Interesting.

What are ABT's?

KyNola

I also let mine rest in the frig for at least a day before slicing to allow the belly to firm up making it easier to slice.

Tenpoint5

I believe Devo like my self are talking about belly bacon. After hot smoking my bacon to 148-152 degrees.  I wrap it in plastic wrap. Then let it sit over night in the fridge to solidify. Then slice the next day or up to 3 days if you can wait that long. The extra wait allows the smoke to settle in a bit more. Of course I am probably wrong in that thought process, it works for me.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

If you are looking to air dry the belly, you can try the triple smoke bacon recipe. If you don't want to apply that amount of smoke, just go through the steps without applying smoke the first two days then on the third day apply the smoke. Air drying for 2 plus days, firms it up and concentrates the flavors.

Triple Smoked Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

any time i do bacon i let it  rest in the fridge like the others

OU812

Quote from: beefmann on February 04, 2013, 06:25:46 PM

Me too,,,,,,,,,,,,,48 hr here

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on February 04, 2013, 06:32:22 PM

Thats what i did to.

Geoff_S

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 04, 2013, 06:37:30 PM
Quote from: OU812 on February 04, 2013, 06:32:22 PM

Thats what i did to.

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to do the same and rest it for 48 hours.