Smoking canned tuna

Started by DukeNukeIt, March 02, 2013, 06:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeNukeIt

Hey Gang,

Thought about kicking my tuna noodle pasta up a notch by smoking the canned tuna (actually it's one of those tuna pouches).  Has anybody tried this?  Don't want to spend $$$ on fresh tuna when it's just for a cheap side dish :)

Thanks!
Dave

mikecorn.1

Give it a go and let us know how it turned out. Never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Quarlow

I would wonder about a couple of things. Since it is already cooked you wouldn't want alot of heat or it would dry out. If you don't put much heat to it would it stay safe from  pathogens ie: salmonella or ecoli. Of course I wouldn't think it would need too much smoke. I would be tempted to use dare I say it, aaaaaaaaaaaa, Liduid smoke. There I said it, that was hard. I suppose if you cold smoked it you would stay in the safe zone.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

iceman

Don't do it. Turns out bitter and dried out. I wouldn't even try the liquid smoke. Neither way worked when we tried it unless you use it cold in a tuna salad Sammie. Cooked was a no go.

Quarlow

What about my new fav thing in the spice world, "Smoked Paprika" I love that stuff.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DukeNukeIt

It's worth a go around just once.  I'm cold smoking some almonds, so I added a spare tray below the almonds with a package of tuna.  Its cold outside, so I should be out of the danger zone.  If it dries out to much, I can add a little bit more vinegar to the mix.  It is rare that you nail a recipe on the first try, most of my best recipes required multiple tweaks before I considered them finished, and even then I'm still looking for a way to make them even better hence the smoked tuna :-)

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

I smoke steelhead and can it for salmon pattys and dips also spreads. Bet tuna would be great to. Oily fish smoke good.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.