dilemma

Started by car54, November 24, 2006, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I was given a monitor top refrigerator in working condition. See link for their story. They were made between 1927 to 1936. As is, it is worth about $100.00 and a restored value is about $3000.00 but your spending that to have it restored. I do not plan on using it as a refrigerator but it could make a good smoker. If you noticed in the last picture the whole refrigeration unit sits on top of the cabinet and is removable. I do not feel right about destroying something with it's history.

What are your thoughts.

Thanks, Brad

http://www.antiqueappliances.com/monitor_top_refrigerators.htm

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

boxertrio

Quotesmoke it!

Man that will make a killer smoker!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Arcs_n_Sparks

Plenty of alternatives to trashing a working refrigerator, especially one with some history. A smoker is just a smoke generator and a box...

West Coast Kansan

I know where your at Brad. Had the same feelings about this GTO project car in the garage.  Seems like an obligation to restore it to 41 years ago. But... it is not an endangered species (thousands of working friges according to the web site) and I would not drive or enjoy it - if it were origional - you would have a very cool smoker to use and enjoy (not going to use it as a fridge). The 'smoke' it comment was not intended to be as cold as it looked when i read it again. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

I'd be more tempted to keep the fridge as an antique and if you are interested in making a smoker, buy an small office fridge that isn't working (may be able to find one that someone is willing to pay you to take it away), buy the smoke gen and do the mods.  Just something about the old antiques that if you have the space for them, the make nice looking conversation pieces when restored at least for looks. :)

I remember last year when a guy in the office tried to defrost the ice box area in small fridge and stuck an ice pick through the cooling coils.  Didn't realize it was an opportunity to make a smoker.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you want to keep it I would restore it. If you don't have enough room, I would look into swapping it to someone who would restore, but could give you a refridgerator in return that you could turn into a smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smudge

Smoke boxes can be made out of many things--cheap materials too. It seems wasteful to me to use the refrigerator for just that, especially when you state it's in working order.

These old fridges were made to run forever. I have a late 30's-early 40's model running in my basement. The humidity levels are in the mid 70's to low 80's, making it perfect for aging certain salamis and summer sausages. Modern refrigerators with built-in de-icers simply will not give me the humidity levels I need for making a quality product.

You may never use your antique in this way, but it's something to put in the back of your mind.   

iceman

I have to side with Hab and Smudge on this one. I like to collect old things and fix them up. Just ask the boss lady. Whoops, :o that came out wrong! :D. Dang, I'm in trouble now. I think I just heard Chez spit beer out his nose! ;D Anyhow you can find just about anything for a smoker. I'd hang on to the fridge or trade it out to someone who is into restoration. ;) Just my little 3.5 cents of input.

car54

I guess I will just keep it unused in the garage. It is about 80 years old and still running. I would feel bad about destroying it. I have my Bradley which does the job. I have wanted a larger smoker only a few times. I'll make do with what I have.

Brad