Gluten free

Started by Geoff_S, February 04, 2013, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_S

I have made a few decent sausages, pork, beef and venison. However, they have all involved some rusk, which makes them no go for a coeliac mate.

Is there a wheat free substitute that I can use? Preferably one that I can use in all my sausages so that I don't have to worry about it.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Geoff_S on February 04, 2013, 10:02:43 AM
I have made a few decent sausages, pork, beef and venison. However, they have all involved some rusk, which makes them no go for a coeliac mate.

Is there a wheat free substitute that I can use? Preferably one that I can use in all my sausages so that I don't have to worry about it.

Use more fat, fat acts as a binder. You dont always nee a soy or flour binder.

Geoff_S

It's interesting that you advise that. The pork sausages that I have made so far have been a bit "sloppy" but the beef and venison have been quite solid. I have used a lot less
rusk in the beef and venison.

If I made a pork sausage, I am quite happy to leave out the rusk totally, after all it's just crumbled bread and what's that got to do with meat? But are you saying that
if I did that the pork would hold together?

Kevin A

Hi Geoff

We are a gluten-free household, so any and all sausages I make are completely "celiac-friendly."

In lieu of rusk, or any other gluten-containing grain/bread, I substitute coarsely-ground (or finely ground) gluten-free bread that I've allowed to dry up a bit.
I've also used cooked rice as a filler/binder if the recipe calls for a grain binder.

side note: if using soy sauce in any recipe, be sure it is a gluten-free variety. most of the regular brands of soy sauce contain wheat.

Kevin

NePaSmoKer

You have alternatives to a binder besides flour or soy based.

Corn syrup (clear karo) 1.60 oz to 5 lbs of meat
Corn syrup solids, 1.40 oz
Fat 20%, any more than that and you will be adding flavor.
Carrot fiber binder
Fat replacer used at 2 level tsp per every pound of meat
Rice flour
Buckwheat flour
Corn
Quinoa
Millet
Amaranth
Teff
Sorghum
Wild Rice

Geoff_S

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 04, 2013, 10:34:57 AM
You have alternatives to a binder besides flour or soy based.

Corn syrup (clear karo) 1.60 oz to 5 lbs of meat
Corn syrup solids, 1.40 oz
Fat 20%, any more than that and you will be adding flavor.
Carrot fiber binder
Fat replacer used at 2 level tsp per every pound of meat
Rice flour
Buckwheat flour
Corn
Quinoa
Millet
Amaranth
Teff
Sorghum
Wild Rice

Thanks Nepasmoker. I'm now off to Google some of these!