Smoked wings 01/13/2013

Started by stevo133080, January 14, 2013, 11:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

Well I downloaded the Bradley Iphone app to my phone and was poking around the recipes on there.  Came across the Jimmy Kimmel smoked wings.  Decided that sounded like a pretty good dinner to go along with playoff football.  We talked it over a bit,  and we both decided we wanted more of a sweet hotwing,  rather than a burn your butthole kind.

Anyways,  we started off with 5 lbs of wings bought from sams club. ( $26 for a 10 lb bag  :o)

We took and added the 2 cups Italian dressing and 1/2 cup of mild wing sauce,  coated them and let them sit in for about 2 hours

Let them sit on the counter for about 30 mins to bring them closer to room temp,  and added them to the smoker.  Used Hickory chips and smoked them for about 2 hours.  I had a really hard time getting the temp up in my smoker.  When the chicken was not in there ,  it came up to 250 degrees nicely,  but once I put i nthe chicken,  It stayed around 175-180 for almost the entire 2 hours.  Not sure if my element is going bad,  or if because it was just dang cold outside (never got above 10 degrees here yesterday)

I let it go for about 2 hours ,  turning once about half way through.

I took it out of the smoker and threw them on the grill for about 10 minutes,  rotating them frequently. This is what they looked like off the grill

For the sauce ,  i just kind of threw something together.  2 cups sweet baby rays BBQ sauce,  added 1 cup of Lawreys teriyaki sauce,  1/2 cup of Kroger brand mild hot wing sauce,  1/2 cup of brown sugar,  1/4 cup Maple Syrup,  brought it to a boil and let it simmer for a bit

I threw them in the sauce

Deeeeliiiiccious with some store bought sweet potato fries

Like I said,  Turned out awesome and Im definately planning on doing more for superbowl.  On the recipe on the app,  It said not to use more than 5 lbs of wings,  and I thnik thats definately true.  Im not sure if there was something wrong with my smoker ,  or just the fact that it was COOOLD outside (Ranged from 10 to 3 degrees while I was cooking) But the Bradley just didnt want to get up to the 225 degrees reccomended cooking temp.  I thnik im going to have to build some type of insulating box to go around it when its that cold outside.   What do you guys use when the temps are well below freezing?

Gafala

It was in the low 20's here when I did the pork loins once the temp was up it did hold for the hole smoke, I did run the temp on the smoker up a extra 30 deg to do that.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

zueth

Ambient temp has a big effect on the temps in the Bradley, since they only have a 500W heating element.

Habanero Smoker

Wings with all that skin will put out a lot of moisture, which keeps your cabinet temperature low. I later started only smoking/cooking 2.5 - 3 pounds of wings at a time, until I added a second element.

After taking the wings off the grill, let them rest for about 5 minutes, but while still hot toss them in the sauce. That 5 minute rest period help the sauce stick to the wings better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Wings look amazing! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

SiFumar

cathouse willy

For those hot smokes on cold days here's a cheap and easy mod that really helps keep the temp up. All you need is a roll of hot water blanket insulation, some self adhesive velcro strips and a pair of scissors.Here's a pic of my Bradley in her winter gear

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/cathousewilly/2011_0819smokertest.jpg[/img]]

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/cathousewilly/2011_0819smoker0003testtwo.jpg[/img]]

beefmann