Lets make some Vegtible Beef Stew

Started by OU812, February 05, 2013, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Take a 3 lb trimmed chuck roast

Cubed into 1-inch chunks

Brown in small batches, so you dont overload the pan in 1/4 cup canola oil, remove with a slotted spoon and throw in the pot

Chop up 2 onions and saute a bit then add 3 cloves minced garlic

Add a 6oz can tomato paste

And a 16oz can stewed tomatoes, juice N all

To the tomato mixture, add 2 bay leafs, 2 Tbl dried sweet basil, and a dash ground rosemary

Chop 4 stalks celery and throw them in the pot

Dump in 8oz sliced portobello mushrooms

Pour in the tomato mixture

Deglaze the pan with a cup of beef broth

Lookin gooood

Add 1/3 cup minute tapioca,,,,,,thats right tapioca and 3 more cups beef broth

Salt and pepper

Now comes the veggies, 1 lb carrots chopped, 2 lb red taters cubed, 1/2  tsp dried thyme and 1 Tbl olive oil

Mix all that together

And heres a trick I learned a while back, wrap the veggies in a HD foil boat, keeps the veggies from over cookin

Plop the veggie boat right on top of the stew

Set the pot on low, throw on the lid and go to bed

About 30 min before dinner time mix in the veggies and a lb of home grown sweet corn

Lets eat!!

Now thats what I call Vegtable Beef Stew!!

SiFumar

Wow that does look good!  Like the foil trick with the veggies! Thanks!

mikecorn.1

Why does that look better than my wife's ??? ;D
Sure glad she don't look here ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

OU812

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on February 06, 2013, 05:03:44 PM
Why does that look better than my wife's ??? ;D
Sure glad she don't look here ;D

If hers is to watery,,,,like most are,,,,,you could kindly ask her to add some minute tapioca

About 1/4 to 1/3 cup to 4 cups liquid will thickin things up

Trust me, ya wont taste it

mikecorn.1

Never heard of minute tapioca. I will google it ;D

Mike

beefmann

jjmoney

Looks great. I have a few reverse engineering ideas that you're welcome to play around with:

Next time, try browning some carrots and the celery at the same time as you fry the onion. And why stop at 3 cloves of garlic? Why not add more, and add more near the end too! Pepper then, pepper later, and pepper at the end.

The dry basil adds zero flavor. Skip it. Next time, try some thyme instead of the basil and rosemary.

A cup or two of red wine adds a lot of good flavor, but you might want to reduce the tomato content just a bit if doing this.

The veggie boat is a neat idea but why not try just adding the veg straight in and see if that works just as well...

Why not jack the flavor a bit with a little soy sauce? Fish sauce? Worcestershire? Mustard? Oyster sauce? Rooster sauce? Caramelized onions?

Rest assured that the ideas above are good tools in your arsenal of taking the stew to the next level. Happy cooking!

Scotty Dog

This looks great.  My family loves the soups and stew I have made.  I will try this in the future.