Starting with the end in mind - bacon wrapped pork loin

Started by BrianD9765, February 19, 2013, 09:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianD9765

I am envisioning a pork loin wrapped with well done weaved bacon. How do I get there...here is the plan and the question.

Apple cider brine (salt, sugar juniper berries etc) for a 24-36 hours.
After brining apply rub
Smoke with apple
Here is the part that I am looking for feedback on:

I am thinking of cold smoking for 1 hour, then turn on the heat to 225 until IT of 130. Yes, it's undercooked, but only so that I can wrap the loin with the bacon weave and put the whole thing in a 400 oven until the bacon is properly done, 20 min or so. Cold smoke to get the smoke in there that it would miss undercooking it.

I am suggesting doing it this way because I question if the bacon and loin can be cooked together and come out of the Bradley properly cooked, AND will the smoke penetrate the bacon into the loin. I think contrasting flavors of the bacon and smoked loin would be nice as well.

Thoughts?

dman4505

Sounds yummy
I'm sure others smarter than I will be around to let ya know if this'll work

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

BrianD9765

Thanks beef and dman4505, any opinions on the process anyone?

KyNola

I'm not sure you need to cold smoke the loin prior to turning the heat on.  You should have plenty of smoke in the loin by smoking it at 225.  You could also wrap the loin in the weave from the beginning and put the whole thing in the smoker from start to finish. 

Your method will absolutely work.  Have fun and don't worry about it.

Ka Honu

Ditto.  By the time the loin is done the bacon should crisp up fine at your 225o smoking/roasting temp.

BrianD9765

Thanks guys. I guess the only way to be sure is to do both! Ho hum, lotsa pork and bacon!

How do I attach pics? Do I need to upload to picasa or the like?