Yabba dabba doo! Beef ribs

Started by jjmoney, February 11, 2013, 06:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmoney

Being a big fan of beef ribs, I couldn't say no to a cryopac of 4 huge beef rib racks (the kind they normally cut up for short ribs). It was pricey, but I had to do it.

So, first off, they got a rub based on Pachanga's rub, but with a few adjustments. Less celery seed, more cumin, coriander, and chilli, less ginger, no basil, and 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds. For those who haven't used Pachanga's rub, I recommend doing so, rest assured it is a great foundation. The fenugreek seeds add a really nice mapley tone to the rub (being as they are the source of imitation maple and butterscotch flavoring).

Then they headed off to the Bradley for 3 hours of smoke (apple, pecan, hickory, mesquite) and another 3 hours of hanging out at 230. I brushed one rack with a mustard based mop and the other with Stubb's.

I wrapped them and put them in the oven for another 2 hours...but found that they were still quite tough. They actually needed about 5 more hours before they were done. The time guide I was using was likely not valid since these were just so damn big. Each rack was almost 5 pounds, with nice thick meat. Next time I would do these as an overnighter like brisket, and maybe FTC-crutch them for a few hours before considering them done.

I managed to remember to get one picture of the meat at serving time today after the extra oven time. Very, very tasty stuff.

The picture is not really even worth posting, but we had done a lot of gobbling by the time it dawned on me to get one to post.

Best beef ribs I've ever made, and now I have two more racks with which to fine tune the cook time. Boom!

beefmann

WILMA pass da sauce... great  looking  ribs you have there

mikecorn.1

Nice looking ribs!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

STLstyle

Gotta try that... Got some short ribs in the freezer.  Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,brisket on a stick

jjmoney

Quote from: STLstyle on February 16, 2013, 01:06:56 PM
Gotta try that... Got some short ribs in the freezer.  Nice job!

If you do, make sure you allow plenty of time for the cook to finish. Depending on the size of your slab, you only need 3 or 4 hours of smoke, and then up to 8 more hours to fork tender.