center cut brisket?

Started by smokingthemidwest, March 17, 2013, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingthemidwest

Hello everybody been a long time since i have been on the forum. Been kind of busy the Mrs broke her big toe and been in a cast for six weeks so i have been running around with the kids nonstop. Well she has got better and came home with a center cut brisket and told me to smoke it. To be honest i have never cooked a brisket before. So the question i have is what kind of rub to put on it? what temp to smoke it at? and what IT to pull the brisket out? Its a pretty small one roughly 4lbs so what time frame am i looking to get it done? Thank you in advance. Smokingthemidwest

classicrockgriller

Center Cut Brisket, hmmmm. Just my thoughts.

I would think that you have a flat off a small brisket.

A simple salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder would probably be enough.

Smoke 3 hours at 225, then into a foil pan with a gulp of apple juice or beer,
cover with foil until an IT of 170'ish.

Then back out of the pan for a short ride in the bradley to firm up the bark.

Remove from smoker after IT hits 180 to 185. Cut brisket across grain.

Probably 5 hrs. Maybe 6.

Place the brisket in the middle of the smoker away from the harsh heat.

KyNola

I think CRG has it pegged, most likely a flat or a piece of a flat.  Is the fat cap trimmed completely off as I know some  brisket pieces that small have been trimmed of all fat.

smokingthemidwest

Thanks for all the quick replies. It appears that the fat has been trimmed down pretty good. Am i going to need to do something else to keep it from drying out? What type of wood do you recommend? I have apple and hickory but could get something else before i smoke it. Thanks in advance

classicrockgriller

Apple should work just fine.

Take pictures.

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo