Montreal Smoked Meat

Started by Habanero Smoker, April 28, 2006, 07:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I took some pictures. I will post those on the recipe forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I have a few extra minutes, so I had time to edit and post some pictures.

This is the oven cooked, that was finished in the smoker. When taken out of the oven, the internal temperature was 200F (I was shooting for around 180F). I should have checked the temperature around the 2.5 hour mark. Sorry! I forgot to check the internal temperature after taking it out of the smoker. I would figure it rose very little, or not at all. The smoker temperature was 200F.

Here is the oven cooked; sliced. You can see that it is still moist. Note the color of the meat.

Here is the fully smoked. Much darker in color, but both pieces had the same amount of smoke applied.

Finally; the fully smoked; sliced. I can't explain the color of the meat. I can only say that it was not cured. It was cooked to around 168F; and the internal temperature was confirmed with my instant read thermometer.

Iceman & BigSmoker; if you make this, let me know if you have the same results; as to the color of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

That is very, very nice looking Hab. Off to the butcher I go. Next weekend it is for sure with company coming and all it sounds like it will be a big hit. Thanks again buddy. :P ;D

Toker

Hey Habs i just did this recipe in my obs and it came red (or pink) like youre without curing it took about 12h for 2 brisket flat of 3.5 pounds each. Great result proud of myself (and proud of your recipe too) :P

Habanero Smoker

Toker;

Glad you liked it. The recipe is a Rob Rainford (License to Grill and the Food Network Canada) recipe that I modified for the Bradley.

The red color is a mystery for me. It must come from the wine. Also it seems if you use a temperature over 210°F you won't get the red color; such as the one I did in the oven at 250°F.

Click to enlarge.

Finished in oven at 250°F. Color seems to be more like cooked pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

Well as far as the temp goes i went from 220 to 250 at the end cause i was little bit tired an or impatient so i probably rushed it a bit but only the last hour was at 250 f . so not sure its really a 250F matter but you know it more than me im sure i dont argue with you cause i know youre the expert.
Anyway im glad it turned out great cause tonight i have a little party i have some visitors from montreal who came expressly to see me and for the 400th anniversary of the town QUEBEC and i asked them what i could cook to make them happy and thats it, a smoked meat. Hope they'll like it. They always go to shwartz (famous restaurant for their mtl smoked meat)  so they'll be able to compare with mine.

I also cold smoked 15 filets mignons to eat with it. They dont know bradley smoker hope i'll be able to sell the idea that they absolutly need one.

Btw i'd like to post pictures to show my results, could you pls explain me how would appreciate thx.

deb415611

Quote from: toker1313 on August 17, 2008, 05:11:27 AM

Btw i'd like to post pictures to show my results, could you pls explain me how would appreciate thx.

Toker -- here is a link to the faq on the recipe site that explains how to post pictures   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

deb

Toker

thx alots its the clearest instructions about this type of things i've ever seen. I'm far from being an computer expert  thanks very much! ;D

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: toker1313 on August 17, 2008, 05:11:27 AM
I also cold smoked 15 filets mignons to eat with it. They dont know bradley smoker hope i'll be able to sell the idea that they absolutly need one.

WOW, you sold me... and I have not even seen the photos yet  :) This sounds great  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

It sounds as if it you didn't have it in the 250°F range long enough to effect the interior color; though the reddish color still remains a mystery to me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

Sorry guys pictures will come little bit later i have to get a new usb cord my cats took several bites on mine existing one :'( But let me give you some feedbacks my filets mignons were awsomes but my smoked meats (2 pieces of 3.5 pounds each) were extremely too dry any idea why? I didn't cook bacon on top like the recipe says could it be it or beacause it was not enough fat on? it took 12 h to cook it started it at 220 and the last hour put it at 250 until internal temp reached 165 (probably to much for my taste.)  Can't say more sorry.

Habanero Smoker

There are many variations of Montreal Smoked Meat, but one thing that is common in all the recipes that I've researched it placing the double smoked bacon on top. If not you just have a spicy brisket.

I can't explain why yours came out dry, even without the bacon just bringing the meat to 165°F it should not have been extremely dry. Also 12 hours to get the temperature up to 165 has me concerned. You may want to check the probes you used to monitor the cabinet, and internal meat temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

Here are my pictures hope it help you for your advises and btw i just double checked my prob theyre all accurate sorry mayby the prob is beacause i put 2 brisket at the same time next time ill try with only 1

note the fat left on this one

image 2 the rest of my 2nd piece

and finaly the filets mignons note the color they are not cooked only cold smoked the color change is cause by the smoke 4 hours of oak maybe 1 hour to much

HCT

I made this last year with a piece of the clod I bought and it came out great. The flavor was unbelievable. The only complaint I had, which was my fault, is that the clod was too lean. The next time I make it it will be with the point cut of the brisket. This by far is one of the best brisket recipes I've found. Thanks for the recipe Habs.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Toker;
Thanks for the feed back.

HCT;
Thanks for the compliment.

After Labor Day, I'm going to tinker with the way I smoke/cook both the Montreal Smoked meat and pastrami. I'm trying to make it so that most who try these recipes get consistent results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.