how long to get ribs to temp?

Started by Gamecatcher, April 10, 2013, 12:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamecatcher

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for the help i am about to receive.

I did up about 10lbs of pork back ribs today for the second time.  The first time i did them I smoked for about 40 min with the temp set at 160f. I cooked them at that temp for 2 more hours, the last hour I moved the to 220f to get the internal up to 160f and they turned out great.

This time i started off the same but did 3hours at 160 and then it took an additional 3 hours at 220 to get the internal temp up to 160.  Anyone have any ideas as to why it might have taken longer this time?
Outside air temp was warmer this time, Its out of the wind in my patio, and i have a stock BDS that always performed great in the past.

waiting to go in

mmmmmm good

started eating before i had a chance to take pictures

Ps they still tasted great
My smoking is not a problem.......Its an addiction!

Wish I was as slow as my smoker

watchdog56

When I do ribs I use Tenpoint 5 method found here and it works out great. The main thing to remember is each rib is different. Some may get done quicker than others. The best way to tell is if the meat is pulled back from the bone about 1/2-1 inch they are usually done;

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

Tenpoint5

I would also suggest a keeping your cabinet temp at 220 or 225 for the whole cook. Ribs should be somewhere in the 4-6 hour range in the Bradley
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gamecatcher

Thanks for the help.

as for cooking at 220ish for the whole time are you going for internal temp or until they are pulled back from the bone?

GusRobin

I don't cook ribs to a temp (since I have trouble getting an accurate reading). I use the tender test --a toothpick or fork into the meat, if it slides right in it is done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

Until they pull back from the bone.

Gamecatcher

When i did this batch up i use a pen style electronic meat thermometer to check intermal temp. They came out really moist and tender but not quite fall off the bone tender. Like everything that I've done in the smoker it turned out great but i still think i can do better. And (un)fortunately the rub i make is never the same twice.

On a side note i keep looking at the Auber duel probe plug and play pid and is it worth the $170 they want for it?

KyNola

"Not fall off the bone tender", then your ribs were done just right. ;)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on April 10, 2013, 06:02:29 PM
"Not fall off the bone tender", then your ribs were done just right. ;)
Yep what he said. Now the pid yes it is worth it. If your going to need consistent temps for sausage
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Quote from: Gamecatcher on April 10, 2013, 03:52:57 PM

On a side note i keep looking at the Auber duel probe plug and play pid and is it worth the $170 they want for it?
Yes it is worth it. Do you need it--only if you are going to do sausage or other things that require a tighter control. Are there alternatives? yes- there are some threads where others have bought the components and wired it themselves at a cost of about $45-$74. They provide directions that seem relatively doable for the novice.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gamecatcher

Thank you for all the information, it will be utilized on my next smoke.

As for the Auber pid i will eventually get it when the time comes for me to make all of last hunting seasons leftover meat into sausage and pepperoni (should be around 10-15 pounds ish)